• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old D4 Question

ACcrazy

Occupation
Mechanic
Hello o wise ones. How big of a pain would it be to add a blade to an old agricultural D4 that looks like it wasn't designed to ever have one? I believe it's a 5T. Any one ever added one to an ag machine? Probably a dumb question but I had to ask anyway. There's one for sale dirt cheap and I thought if it wasn't too much of a hassle (or too expensive) to install a blade set-up it might be worth it. Am I way off? :D Thanks.

Trashman

Occupation
Garboligist
How old is it and does it have an existing hydraulic circuit?

ACcrazy

Occupation
Mechanic
How old is it and does it have an existing hydraulic circuit?

I honestly don't know. It's for sale on Craigslist with only one pic. I wanted to get whatever info I could from you all on this site before I contacted the seller.
As far as how old, if it is a 5T, (he says it's a T-5?) that would put it in the 1940s I think.

Trashman

Occupation
Garboligist
It will not have a hydraulic circuit, if it is that old. It would be cost prohibitive in my opinion. Might be easier to add a cable lift system from a similar machine.

Old Magnet

The 5T came in narrow and wide gauge (1945-1947).
You would have to find a complete package dozer with hydraulic system to work.
LaPlant Choate, Caterpillar, Dakota and Holt were some of the blade package options at the time.

LeTourneau also made a headache bar cable control set up if you want to go that way.

Last edited: