• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old D9 vids

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
Nice vids, I love watching those old cats work on the 'tube.

I see that it has the blade carry angle cylinders added on as well.

dieseldave

It's a nice old machine, easy to run and very productive. Those aren't hydraulic rams, just screw jacks with chrome rods- you have to get off and wind 'em if you want to change the angle.

Wulf

Nice to see that magnificent beast doing its thing :)

Hope you don't mind a few questions... What year is that, how many hours and do you know anything about its history?

dieseldave

It's a '56 or '57, serial is 18A1214. I don't know the hours. Don't know much about it's history, either- I bought it from a guy who had got it at an auction. A friend of mine is pretty sure he had seen it working somewhere around Philadelphia, PA. Looks like it was well-maintained throughout most of it's life, but the last guy that owned it must've been a real prize. The seal had gone out of the track adjuster so some genius welded the idler to the track frame. I mean, c'mon, the seal is very easy to replace on this particular machine, but if you were really pressed and needed a quick fix just jack out the idler with whatever is handy and jam a piece of angle between the yoke and the recoil spring housing until you can get to where you can fix it right. But to weld it to the track frame? I've never seen anything like it. It also had a bad final, complete with broken deadaxle, a bad clutch and a non-operative pony. Fixed the final and clutch. Fixed the pony, but it shook like a wet dog and kept tearing itself from the main, so I put another pony on and it did the same thing. Had enough of ponies, converted to electric start. The UC is whupped, but I took a link out (I know, I know:badidea) and it's good enough for now. I have a parts D9 with a good UC, but the thought of R&Ring two D9 bottoms is more than I want to contemplate at the moment.

dieseldave

Couple pics of the old girl

Attachments

• d9 60001.JPG
    d9 60001.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 2,088
  • d9 110001.JPG
    d9 110001.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 2,177
  • d9 70001.JPG
    d9 70001.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 2,060

DPete

Nice looking 9, does it have a blower to cool the brakes? One of those old 9's did. I grew up working on those #29 cable controls, kinda glad those days are gone for me, fun to watch though.

dieseldave

DPete, In the last pic you can see the intake for the brake blower just in front of the geartrain on the back of the engine. It uses the framerails as ducts to get the air to the steering clutch compartments. I like the cable blade more than I thought I would. When I first got the machine I was planning to convert it to hydraulic, but after running the cable I changed my mind. I know some ol' timers who are still convinced that cable is better :rolleyes:

DPete

Actually if everything is in good shape the cable dozer isn't bad (IF) you understand how to use it. Lots to go wrong though with sheave bearings, cable etc. We used to have trouble with operators adjusting the clutches to tight so they did'nt have to move the lever as far, all that did was cook the seals in the clutch pack and then the grease would get in the discs, all finished then:Banghead . One thing about a cable dozer is it will go down as long as the cable is long enough opposed to a hydraulic rodding out. Parts for the cable unit were getting really high, hate to guess what it costs today to go through one especially the nut and screw in the pressure plate and the lined discs. If you just use it occasionally it would last a long time though.

xcavate77

9H still turning dirt

heres a pic of a couple of our 9Hs still making the rounds

Attachments

• DSC00032 resize.JPG
    DSC00032 resize.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,943

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Wow, nice machine Dave! I would love to see it run sometime.

Last edited:

dieseldave

Actually if everything is in good shape the cable dozer isn't bad (IF) you understand how to use it. Lots to go wrong though with sheave bearings, cable etc. We used to have trouble with operators adjusting the clutches to tight so they did'nt have to move the lever as far, all that did was cook the seals in the clutch pack and then the grease would get in the discs, all finished then:Banghead . One thing about a cable dozer is it will go down as long as the cable is long enough opposed to a hydraulic rodding out. Parts for the cable unit were getting really high, hate to guess what it costs today to go through one especially the nut and screw in the pressure plate and the lined discs. If you just use it occasionally it would last a long time though.

Playing Devil's Advocate here;) there's lots to wrong with a hydraulic system, too. Pumps, hoses, valves, cylinders, etc. In fact, that was how ol' RG Letourneau convinced the US military to go cable in WWII- the cable systems were simpler and easier to maintain. I've got a fair bit of time on old machines, including 9U D6's, 3T and 17A D7's, various old D8's, etc. Some were cable and some hydraulic, and IMHO it's a tossup as to which is better. Each system has it's advantages and disadvantages. Of course, the hydraulics improved over time and the cable system was quickly outpaced.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums xcavate77! :drinkup

dieseldave

That old 9 was Cat's first production turbocharged machine, it's got a big ol' turbo on it. No muffler though, just the turbo for sound dampening, so the exhaust note overshadows the turbo whine. You can hear it a little bit in the vid, especially at the end when the machine reverses.

dieseldave

It's a 353. I took one of my "spare" D353's to the iron pile the other day, anyone care to guess how much it weighed as pictured sitting on the trailer? The last pic is of a 353 piston and rod sitting atop the 231 Buick V6 from my Grand National. One hole of the 353 displaces 15ci more than the little Buick.

Attachments

• D353 40001.JPG
    D353 40001.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 640
  • D353 50001.JPG
    D353 50001.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 625
  • D353 90001.JPG
    D353 90001.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 636
  • v6 and D9 piston 10001.JPG
    v6 and D9 piston 10001.JPG