• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old grader among other treasures at Tirau Museum, New Zealand

HSV127

On a nondescript piece of rural highway in New Zealand's South Waikato region lies one of the most interesting collections of machinery, memorabilia and historical artifacts I have ever seen. A collection that one man has gathered over the past 60 years.

From a teenager finding an old bottle in a river bed, Geoff Ernst's hobby has grown into one of the country's largest personal collections!

I'd driven past his simple 'Museum and Honey Shop' sign hundreds of times in my life and never ventured inside until this weekend and I'm so glad I did. Anticipating a small shed full of random old stuff, I was more than pleasantly surprised to find a very well laid out series of rooms and sheds over 13,000 square feet. Geoff had built most of the structures and cabinetry himself and along the way has fought (and won) against local council and transit to enable his labour of love to be shown to the world.

There were untold items in there that interested me but even after two and a half hours, I still hadn't had a good look at everything I wanted to. Needless to say, I'll definitely be back.

Here's a few photos of some of the machinery on display, enjoy!

P1090591.jpgP1090592.jpgP1090595.jpgP1090598.jpgP1090606.jpg

Huntoon

Occupation
Sales Engineer. I design OEM tracked undercarriage
That's a great set of photos. I can't wait to get to NZ, it sounds so cool. Thanks for uploading photos.