• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

old john deere 450 dozer quit pulling

Vernon Lowe

i have an old 450 jd dozer,it isn't a b or a c model just a straight 450 is far as i know,no turbo. I got it stuck in a branch today and got water uo to the pads and it quit pulling. What can i expect happened?

Labparamour

Or steering clutches, too?
There are pipe plugs that fit in the bottom of the final drive cases.
I have B model and mine are removed.

Hopefully you can dry things out and she’ll be back to normal.
Maybe run on the flat without a load and, if there is slipping, will warm and dry out fiber discs.

Vernon Lowe

Or steering clutches, too?
There are pipe plugs that fit in the bottom of the final drive cases.
I have B model and mine are removed.

Hopefully you can dry things out and she’ll be back to normal.
Maybe run on the flat without a load and, if there is slipping, will warm and dry out fiber discs.
any tips on how to dry it out? it won't move at all. The trans oil is chocolate milk.i'm hoping i can drain the oil and put in new oil and filter and that fix it. I did start it up and crack the filter loose and it is building trans oil presssure

Labparamour

May be a couple issues going on.
Milky transmission fluid not good.
Not sure why would go from pulling fine to not.
After being in water, I believe our thoughts were clutches wet and slipping.
There is the clutch between the engine and transmission and also steering clutches on each drive that use a combination of steel and fiber discs.
I’m also not familiar if any differences in straight vs B.
On mine, there is adjustment procedure for clutch pedal and transmission pressure.

Always good to have a manual.
There is JDCrawler forum that has good info/help.
Also, the 303 oil Deere specs is no longer a standard so anything can be labeled 303.
I went with Deere hy-tran oil.

Good luck. Keep us posted

Last edited: