• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Older Case 1450 track loader

Scrap

I just purchased a 79 Case 1450, 7400hrs, that runs well, but has a lazy right track, it slips in high reverse and hi fwd, is good in fwd low, reverse low, seller tells me it needs "clutches" . Is this a common on these ? It is a great machine, got for an awesome price, I don't mind putting 3-4k into it , plus it is working good enough to clear what I need it to do now. Will I hurt the machine using it like this ? otherwise it is in great shape, no leaks , no weeping cylinders.

Scrap

What kind of reputation do these 1450's have ? What are common issues?

most importantly will I hurt this machine to keep operating it while slipping?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
As has been called out here before, will not be a Cat. Weaker in the finals and transmission is a note of caution as is the suspension beam under the machine for beating out the bearings at the ends. Trans slippage is a point that it is done and ready for rebuild, there is no patch for this where pushing it knowing this will cost in more hard parts if not already done in. $3000-4000 in parts for the trans rebuild would not be out of the question, labor may top that dependent of any hard parts beyond clutch packs and seals. Have someone else raise and lower the machine with the bucket will show any slop in the suspension cross beam and that is a job unto itself for rebuilding. It is a 1979 machine, will have all the detractions of a almost forty year old machine as to parts available and items that will fail from neglect or just age.

And yes, I know for a fact as I own a 1974 Allis, same issues.
Were decent machines in their day just not hosses as Cat or prevalent as Deere.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
The weakest point on these transmissions are the bevel gear and pinion you have two one for each track. When you shift the lazy track into hi track what does the pressure gauge do. If it drops down and the other track pressures stays up then you need to remove the cap on the shaft end of the effected track, I can't remember which is the hi-lo cap but I think it's the rear. You could have a bad seal ring on the shaft and it may have wore a groove in the cap. You have a cover that covers the rear of the tranny and remove the cap on that shaft. Two lines and six bolts there are some shim gaskets behind the cap. You can reuse the shims to keep shaft positioned correctly. I hope I helped some. I will try and find out if I'm right about the clutches though. There are four per track you have hi-lo and fwd-rev. Your hi-lo range is on the center shaft the end looks like a pto shaft out the rear but it's used to power a winch.

Last edited: