• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Operators too good to clean.

Greasyfitting

Happy Saturday everyone, At my I've noticed some of the operators when it's end of the day they hop in the truck , and go. Leaving dozer tracks , excavator tracks filthy , hear talk that old timers never have a shovel in their hand , they don't have to do this or that so new guys figure that's the route to go. We have a brand new Cat 330 gc somewhat new guy running it parked it end of the day mud and tree branches all in the tracks machine doesn't even have 100 hrs which I find ridiculous. I know it's not my equipment but a 100 hr old machine should not be filthy. I suppose my point is operators new and old think they don't have to clean or they are too good to clean the machine that PAYS them. Pipe crew only guys who clean their machines so I give them credit. Anyone else have "those" guys at your job? Lol

Old Doug

I don't think its right but that's how things are done today. I work with a guy that spends about as much time avoiding work as he does working. He asked me to take over one of his jobs. I know his wife I saw her the other day and she jokingly said there's hard hardworking Doug . She is a good person and I don't like to start stuff but I wondered what she met and what he has been telling her ?

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Do these seatwormers help with any shovel work on the job site if required or they to good for that too?
Just as well I'm not the boss, they'd be goneski.

MG84

I'm an owner/operator, one man show, and take really good care of my equipment. Greased religiously, fluids, filters, etc all by the books, buy only OEM parts, completely clean the belly pans out every oil change, equipment washed every time its back at the shop, etc. With that said, I never clean out the tracks unless I'm hauling it, mud has built up to the point it's causing wear, or we are expecting freezing temperatures overnight. I just don't see the point of cleaning it out otherwise. Does that make me a lazy seat warmer? lol

BTW, there are some very well used shovels and rakes on all of my trucks....

Greasyfitting

I'm an owner/operator, one man show, and take really good care of my equipment. Greased religiously, fluids, filters, etc all by the books, buy only OEM parts, completely clean the belly pans out every oil change, equipment washed every time its back at the shop, etc. With that said, I never clean out the tracks unless I'm hauling it, mud has built up to the point it's causing wear, or we are expecting freezing temperatures overnight. I just don't see the point of cleaning it out otherwise. Does that make me a lazy seat warmer? lol

BTW, there are some very well used shovels and rakes on all of my trucks....
I worry about the mud , logs , branches on the excavator undercarriages because the cat excavators we have mud , and dirt will screw that track tensioner up overtime seizes up. In my experience

sled dog

Been a union operator 51 years this year. Long, long ago, on my very first job, was sent out to oil on a cable crawler hoe. We were putting in concrete pipe bout 4 foot deep down an old fence row. As my operator moved, I could see he was going to hit an old steel fence post with a track. I took the spade from the machine and popped the post out. And the laborers walked off the job. Bout an hour later the laborers BA, the Superintendant, and the Foreman showed up, and they all had a piece of my scrawny a$$. When they wore themselves out chewing on me, I asked if I might say something. Told them just 6 weeks prior a piece of rebar caught in the track of a D6 my dad was running, caught him in the mouth as he turned his head. Told them all I wanted was for someone not to be hurt. It was my first day of my first job, all you had to do was say something, but no, you got to be a$$holes and take turns yelling at the kid. Then I looked the laborer steward in the eye and told him you better hope the ditch don't cave in, cause I won't pick up a shovel to save your fukin life! And all the rest of my days pulling levers, I never run a shovel again. Get one of those prik laborers...

Greasyfitting

Been a union operator 51 years this year. Long, long ago, on my very first job, was sent out to oil on a cable crawler hoe. We were putting in concrete pipe bout 4 foot deep down an old fence row. As my operator moved, I could see he was going to hit an old steel fence post with a track. I took the spade from the machine and popped the post out. And the laborers walked off the job. Bout an hour later the laborers BA, the Superintendant, and the Foreman showed up, and they all had a piece of my scrawny a$$. When they wore themselves out chewing on me, I asked if I might say something. Told them just 6 weeks prior a piece of rebar caught in the track of a D6 my dad was running, caught him in the mouth as he turned his head. Told them all I wanted was for someone not to be hurt. It was my first day of my first job, all you had to do was say something, but no, you got to be a$$holes and take turns yelling at the kid. Then I looked the laborer steward in the eye and told him you better hope the ditch don't cave in, cause I won't pick up a shovel to save your fukin life! And all the rest of my days pulling levers, I never run a shovel again. Get one of those prik laborers...
Office guys , safety guys are garbage. They don't care that you cut your hand off , or got crushed to death they care that you costed them money and got them an ass chewing. No one cares about our safety out there the bottom line is worth more than your life in their eyes.

Mobilewrench

I don't think the newness of the machine even matters. If you don't own it, you don't make it a pigsty.
I have seen my share of mud and debris on track frames. More than a few times I have had to deal with thrown tracks because of it.
I am often shocked when a machine is hauled in on a trailer or lowboy and there is crap all over the frame.

My actual gripe is actually garbage in the cab.

Had to do a little HVAC work on a Deere LC 330 last month. Actually found enough drink bottles and trash to fill a 32 gallon trash bag.

I am a little passive aggressive at first, so I just piled all the trash on the seat. Figuring that when they came to get it my point would be made.

No, they pulled the garbage out and dumped it on the ground in my lay down yard.

So now I am active aggressive... I want someone fired.

Greasyfitting

I don't think the newness of the machine even matters. If you don't own it, you don't make it a pigsty.
I have seen my share of mud and debris on track frames. More than a few times I have had to deal with thrown tracks because of it.
I am often shocked when a machine is hauled in on a trailer or lowboy and there is crap all over the frame.

My actual gripe is actually garbage in the cab.

Had to do a little HVAC work on a Deere LC 330 last month. Actually found enough drink bottles and trash to fill a 32 gallon trash bag.

I am a little passive aggressive at first, so I just piled all the trash on the seat. Figuring that when they came to get it my point would be made.

No, they pulled the garbage out and dumped it on the ground in my lay down yard.

So now I am active aggressive... I want someone fired.
My thing is this they will run a machine in wet mud , sand , dirt when a hose breaks , or anything undercarriage related breaks its filthy makes the job 2 hours longer sometimes cleaning. But no one cares but when I do a job now when it's time to go home I'm going home. If you don't care about this equipment I don't care if you got bills to pay and your down for 2-3 should have taken care of what your assigned now you deal the consequences ME lol.

Deere500a

Treat it as you own it is dying. I got my tits twisted this week by my boss not greasing everyday(zerks are dirty) these machines don't squeak. Grease the pin not the paint around it,zerks get replaced as needed depending on the day I'll give em a quick hit at lunch not just in the morning-some people just don't realize

skyking1

Cleaning your own tracks goes a long ways on learning how NOT to pack them full of crap in the first place. If you bucket turn and pick the tops rather than the wallers, they stay cleaner.
When I see a guy who is clueless and turns and burns and trashes the site, I am tempted to have a word or two. I con't care how fast you load a truck, quit making a mess out of everything.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I'm still digging trash out of my excavator I bought last year, I swear jostle enough and something else is falling out in the cab.
so far assortment of gloves, "dumb" water bottle, cigarettes. Need to replace the seat and fix the HVAC, namely the duct work for some heat.