• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Opinions on 2004 Case CX 25 Trade for my 580

Bayrat

Occupation
Dig Safely Field Representative
Dealer is offering to trade me this for my 2000 580LT2, plus I need to toss in a couple grand. Need a lighter machine for my land clearing, the backhoe simply sinks in too much in my soil. Machine has less than 400 hours, asking 27k for it.

Backhoe has 2700 hours, extendahoe but rusty hood and doors.

Seems I recall reading something about the breakout force on these not being sufficient but it may have been a different model.

coopers

The price for your backhoe sounds about right. I'm curious though, you're going from a 580 size machine down to a small CX25 mini excavator? That's quite the change in size.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The price for your backhoe sounds about right. I'm curious though, you're going from a 580 size machine down to a small CX25 mini excavator? That's quite the change in size.

Yes thats a small machine. It is curious to know what you were going with a backhoe that could be accomplished with such a small mini. Also I think the model is a 27. I have run the 17B, 36B and 50B. They are nice, much improved over the original mini's which I thought were lacking in breakout. They have continued to make improvements with these. This B series is a nice machine.

Bayrat

Occupation
The machine is listed as a 2004 CX25 and I have seen others on equipment trader, so that part is correct. Near as I could tell, it is an 8000# machine.

My Case is way more machine than I need, in fact, prior to purchasing it from this same dealer I had demoed several minis in addition to renting them a few times. Primary use is clearing a jungle but as it turns out, the land is wetter than I thought it would be which makes quite the mess. Figured the track machine would make it much easier to navigate around.

Mainly clearing brush and digging the occasional stump.

coopers

I'd think you'd be ok I guess with that size machine. I don't know case minis so I couldn't tell ya but it will probably do.

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
The CX25 has been a good machine for us. We have quite a few mini excavators out there. I have found the main reliefs low on every CX mini I have done a pre delivery inspection on. The main reliefs are a bit of a pain to get at and I know some dealers here that will let it go if it is a bit low. Have them check it out HOT....not a room temp. After I have brought them up to spec there have not been complaints about power. The one thing you may want if you dig through frost is a ripper for it. They also have a great quick attach for those minis too.

Bayrat

Occupation
Thanks for all the information!

MERG

The CX25 has been a good machine for us. We have quite a few mini excavators out there. I have found the main reliefs low on every CX mini I have done a pre delivery inspection on. The main reliefs are a bit of a pain to get at and I know some dealers here that will let it go if it is a bit low. Have them check it out HOT....not a room temp. After I have brought them up to spec there have not been complaints about power. The one thing you may want if you dig through frost is a ripper for it. They also have a great quick attach for those minis too.

I just purchased a CX25 and I had a couple quick questions. The machine is in very good condition with 1400 hrs. Bought it from the original owner who maintained it very well. From my best observation the machine is the same as the CX27b minus about 3HP and about 200lbs. My biggest problem with the machine is it feels WEEK. The owner said he was going to have the main reliefs checked out but never did because he ran a 12" bucket is soft soil so it really didn't bother him. If I run a larger bucket I can definitely see a lack of power compared to other machines I have run similar in size. This machine will not even lift itself up unless you use two rams together. If I purchase a service manual is this something I can do on my own (adjust the reliefs)? Or is this something I should take in. I don't have much hydraulic repair knowledge except services and line repairs. If the reliefs came from the factory low, how low do you think they could be? I think they are supposed to be around 3300PSI. Any info is much appreciated. I got a pretty good deal on this machine and I would love to see how capable it can be; it just seems week and sick at the moment.

Bayrat

Occupation
Wow, this is an old thread being revived. My Cx25 is certainly not weak, with either bucket and can easily lift itself up with one cylinder.

MERG

Thanks for the comment Bayrat. I thought the power was a bit low. I am just curious what I should do to resolve the problem. It has great track power, but the power of all three cylinders on the arm all lack breakout power.

Bayrat

Occupation
I'm not certain except to say that I specifically addressed the adjustments with the dealer prior to purchase and was assured it was where it should be.