• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Opinions on Cat CC34 Combination Roller with Pneumatic Rear Tires?

Alex1els

Some context on me and my use case:
I have a 20 acre mountain property that I'm working on.
I own several excavators, skid steers and other tractors, but I'm interested in getting a roller in order to repave my 1/2 mile long driveway. A section of the driveway is gravel and I hate how dusty any vehicle gets after driving over that. Plus the rest of the driveway is in terrible condition and would love to just do all of it, but hopefully without going broke in the process.

From reading this forum, it appears that CAT is the brand of rollers to get, because they (allegedly) use dual hydraulic pumps and both the front and the rear drums are responsible for driving the machine. My property is 100% hills and slopes, and I'd really like a machine that has the best chance of handling slopes.

I came across a CAT CC34 roller with 5,000 hours in one of the Ritchie Brothers auctions and got curious if I want to take a gamble on it.

Does anyone have experience/ opinions with these machines?

I'm especially interested in this combination roller design with one steel drum and one set of smooth hydraulic tires.
Are these any better at handling steep slopes?
Are they okay to be used for asphalt?
What are the biggest downsides to this combo setup vs having a dual steel drum?

I am aware that there are also other roller designs with a pair of tractor tires on the rear end - and AFAIK these are mostly used for soil compaction and can't do asphalt. My use case is mostly to lay aslphalt, but if the machine can also handle soil compaction, I'm not going to reject that...

Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone! Enjoy your day!