• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Opinions on Residential Culvert Installation

ericscher

I did search first, but although I found plenty of interesting stuff, I didn't find what I was looking for.

Basically, I'm looking for the benefit of experience in terms of whatever sort of advice you'd like to offer.

I'm looking at doing a culvert replacement that's underneath a residential driveway, around 10 feet down and 30 to 40 feet long. (There's two of them)

I am taking plastic pipe pipe out and putting in RCP. I am uncertain what the size of the plastic pipe is. I didn't bother to measure it because it's fairly close in size to the 18" equivalent Elliptical RCP I'd be putting in, so the trench is going to be very close to the same size. The pipe going in is about 22x30 on the outside with a 3.5 inch wall thickness. Also, this specific pipe doesn't have bells. Obviously it has male and female ends, but they are designed to give a smooth exterior and use a mastic for joining.

I am planning to excavate in steps, starting wide at the top and narrowing as I go down and trying to segregate the useful backfill material as I go.

For bedding I keep debating with myself... Fill Sand? Concrete Sand? Mason Sand? Better ideas...?

I was also thinking about a foot of bedding below, around 8-10 on the sides of the pipe and about the same on top, then putting in usable backfill for most of the rest. (I'll switch over to appropriate road materials when I get close to the surface.)

Obviously, I'll be compacting as I go, from the bedding all the way to the fresh surface.

I also have a tendency towards overkill.

What I mean is... I had a friend who once told me that any idiot can build a bridge to last 1,000 years but it takes some real skill and knowledge to build on that will last 100 years.
Well, I'm the idiot. I like to overbuild.

So any thoughts along those lines are also welcome.