• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Optimum operating RPM?!?

pjflyer

I'm fairly new to operating all hydraulic track hoes. I have an old Insley H560-B with a Detroit 453. So far I've been running at about 1500 rpm and the machine does just fine. I recently had someone say that it's better for the machine and pumps to run at or near full tilt. Is this true? I'm sure there are many here that would know. Thanks. :confused:

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . pjflyer I know little about excavators but but 1500 rev/min is normal operating speed for 50 cycle generator sets in our part of the world . . . why run it any faster if its doing the job?

I'm sure others on here will have different opinions.

Cheers.

06Pete

Run where you are comfortable but don't baby that detroit they don't take well to ideling or running to slow it will start blowing oil out of the exhust.

CasIns

I've got a 453 in my Insley and run her full open when digging. Its pretty much by necessity though. The hydraulics on my machine will stall the engine pretty easily especially if its not running wide open.

As Pete says you also seem to get less oil in the exhaust, or at least less smoke.