• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Our 'new' EX 1800

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Weve had this big dog digging for about 2 weeks now. I just now got around to getting some pics of it working.
John is 3 passing the Payhaulers with the small 12.5 yard bucket. The 5110 is loading the 605 Komatsus with 4 passes from the 14 yard bucket. A bigger bucket is on its way for the 1800.
001.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

012.jpg

011.jpg

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Hope ya got bigger trucks coming too, haha. Looks like quite the jobsite. Thanks for sharing :drinkup :usa

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
JTL are you digging a land fill cell?

Where did the 1800 come from?

Yes it is a landfill cell. Seems that is about all we do anymore!
The hoe came out of Missouri some place. Not real sure where. But its only got 4000 hours on it.

Cat Wrench

Ha ha I helped put that together when it was new. It came from Shawnee Rock (Deffenbaugh Industries) in Kansas City.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Ha ha I helped put that together when it was new. It came from Shawnee Rock (Deffenbaugh Industries) in Kansas City.

Thats the name. I knew it kinda close to our companys name. Our equipment manager said it was in a landfill and saw very little use, hence the 4000 hour, 10 year old machine.

Cat Wrench

Thats the name. I knew it kinda close to our companys name. Our equipment manager said it was in a landfill and saw very little use, hence the 4000 hour, 10 year old machine.

That machine has a very strange history. If you are interested in knowing it I will post it.
Nothing bad, believe me that machine was well taken care of from day one. I heard that your company bought it expecting to use it at Deffenbaugh but decided to take it to another job.
Where is the job it is on now?

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
That machine has a very strange history. If you are interested in knowing it I will post it.
Nothing bad, believe me that machine was well taken care of from day one. I heard that your company bought it expecting to use it at Deffenbaugh but decided to take it to another job.
Where is the job it is on now?

Sure, I wouldnt mind hearing the story!
We moved it all the way to Richland, Washington, using it out at the Hanford Nuclear Site, digging a new waste cell.

Cat Wrench

This machine was bought by the equipment manager/head of operations. For the first 4-5 years he was the only one that could run it, he wouldn't allow anyone else too. Of course he was a busy man so the time he had to operate was very minimal. He had several machines around there like that. When it had probably less than 100 hours on it one side went down on some soft ground and he bent the cat walk up on it. I straightened it out but he still spent $36,000 to buy a section of cat walk so it would be perfect. He was very, very particular.
They had a 994 loader they bought new and 3 years later it had less than 2000 hours on it. They only worked 1 shift.
That 1800 is a hog. I saw it push a D11R out of a soft spot once, very impressive. I wish I had a digital camera back then.
He had a ripper for it. It would set in on rock and pull the ripper thru like a knife thru hot butter. That thing will bury a comparable sized Cat, plus they are much more reliable.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Our equipment manager had nothing but good things to say about the operation they ran there. We got the ripper with it as well. Just dont need it here. The picture below, where the white circle is, must be the only dent that man ever put in it.
Thanks for the info.
016.jpg
I had to do some serious zooming in order to see it in the picture. But its hardly noticeable from the ground, standing next to it.

Cat Wrench

JTL If you guys need any parts for them International pay haulers there is a local company that has several of those dogs they were parting out. I believe he also had some kind of a change over for the brakes.

SPMiller

Occupation
Operator
Looks like you're digging in soft material, why not use front end loaders and lower your CPT. Just curious.

S.

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
John is 3 passing the Payhaulers with the small 12.5 yard bucket. The 5110 is loading the 605 Komatsus with 4 passes from the 14 yard bucket. A bigger bucket is on its way for the 1800.

Jason how big is the bigger bucket?

You guys must have a little bit of work to be buying that big hoe.

hvy 1ton

I didn't realize that deffenbaugh had any equipment near that big. The operations manager has a fine taste in equipment to have an ex1800 as his personal machine. How do you guys up in the PNW not have any need for the ripper? Aren't you surrounded by mountains of rock?

On a side note, it's never a good sign when a LPG machine is working the haul road.:drinkup

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Jason how big is the bigger bucket?

You guys must have a little bit of work to be buying that big hoe.

We have been looking for another big hoe for a couple years. Missed the boat on a low hour 5110 in South Dakota a while back. This beast came along so they bought it. But we do have quite a bit of muck lined up.
The bucket guys came out yesterday and did some measurements on it. I hear they are building a 16 yard bucket for it. Personally, I think a 14 is more than enough. We a 4 passing the 605's to well over 70 ton with the 14 on the 5110. With a 16, its gonna be more like 3 1/2 passes with some massive spillage.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
I didn't realize that deffenbaugh had any equipment near that big. The operations manager has a fine taste in equipment to have an ex1800 as his personal machine. How do you guys up in the PNW not have any need for the ripper? Aren't you surrounded by mountains of rock?

On a side note, it's never a good sign when a LPG machine is working the haul road.:drinkup

Well yes we are surrounded by rock, but this place is all black sand, hence the LGP tuning up the haul road!:drinkup
The ripper would be handy on some jobs we have done. But thats what we have D9's and 10's for! And if it gets to hard, we aint afraid to use a little powder.

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
But we do have quite a bit of muck lined up.

Good to hear you guys have some work.:)

I was wondering when you guys call the hall for haul truck drivers and they show up and see those payhaulers how do they react?:D