• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overheat, not sure what it is

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
IR SD-45 roller

Top hose to thermostat is warm, bottom hose is cold. Haven't tested thermostat yet. Figured hose wouldn't be warm is it wasn't opening.

Water pump has no play and if there's a weep hole it's not leaking. Belt tight coolant full, no leaks, radiator looks clean. Wonder if the impeller fell off? IDK.

Ideas while I wait for it?

lantraxco

Bottom hose is actually cold, best guess is plugged somewhere, no flow. Or the pump impeller fell off as you suggested. Could still be a bad thermostat but really I can't remember the last one I saw that had actually failed shut. Fun!

grandpa

I had a thermostat fail today on a Cat gen set... stuck partially closed...now if you guys wouldn't have mentioned it it wouldn't have happened..... lol.

RobVG

Occupation
I can't remember the last one I saw that had actually failed shut. Fun!

Haven't seen one stuck on a piece of equipment either. This one opened about an 1/8 inch. Probably enough?

Hi Gramps! Long time...

lantraxco

Nope.... Unless it's one of my YMMV thermostats, they usually open 3/8 or more in my experience.

Truck Shop

How many engine hours does that puppy have? Just had a 3126 do the same thing, it was the pump. Engine had a lot miles and idle time on it.
It's an out house pumper.:throwup

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I had a thermostat fail today on a Cat gen set... stuck partially closed...now if you guys wouldn't have mentioned it it wouldn't have happened..... lol.

Umm, no, in your case, it wasn't stuck...it was frozen! :tong

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Wouldn't there have been ice around it if it was frozen?

JPV

I had a 966c wheel loader with a 3306 that the heater didn't blow hot in. Flushed the core and was still bad. Finally figured out the impeller fell off the pump so it wasn't pushing water through the heater. It ran fine other then that and wouldn't overheat unless you stalled the torque converter for a while, must have had a good thermosyphon going!

RobVG

Occupation
Well I really dropped the ball on this one. I figured when they said "overheat" they knew what they were talking about. Saw coolant splattered on the radiator. Din't ask if they took the cap off- they did.

I think it's the sending unit or maybe the gauge. So it has a new thermostat and water pump and I have a pump on the shelf.

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
Well I really dropped the ball on this one. I figured when they said "overheat" they knew what they were talking about. Saw coolant splattered on the radiator. Din't ask if they took the cap off- they did.

I think it's the sending unit or maybe the gauge. So it has a new thermostat and water pump and I have a pump on the shelf.

I had a similar situation about 5 years back on a PC200, owner phoned me to come pull the rad out as it must be plugged and causing overheating. Met an operator at the machine on a cool morning, he fires it up and it instantly goes into overheat shut down! Operator (says he's an electrical engineer also) starts telling me it's overheating, I tell him it's impossible and that it's an electrical issue, but he wanted to argue:beatsme.... 15 mins later I found the issue and fixed, It was a wire from the sending unit grounding out, chaffed on a frame clamp.. It did start running a bit warm last summer, thermostat was sticking, it still had the factory stat in it, with over 15k hrs so can't complain!!