• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overheating Perkins 1004-4 turbo engine

Eric Rop

I have perkins engine on a backhoe and temperature builds to 100 degree Celsius within 20 minutes.
Have done the following so far without any improvement: changed water pump, blocked bypass from thermostat housing to water pump inlet, cleaned radiator, replaced fan, pressure test block and head, refaced block and head, rebuilt the engine with new gaskets.
Please assist because it seems I have almost everything with no success.

Attachments

• IMG-20220401-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220401-WA0000.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 8

edgephoto

100 degrees C does not seem like that is an issue. Why do you think that is bad?

What temp. does the thermostat open at?

Eric Rop

It goes beyond 110 degree Celsius, I am just stopping it at 100 degree to avoid damaging the engine, I removed thermostat and blocked the bypass to pump to force all the coolant through radiator

Eric Rop

The temperature rarely goes beyond 85 degree, even after working for the whole day

Delmer

Does it hold water? or blow water out?

What does the 85 degrees in post #5 mean?

Are those temperatures in the first post three different readings at the same time? different times?

The only thing I haven't seen is the belt and pulleys, pulleys can round out and slip. First thing is to double check the radiator, rinse until clean, look through with a light on the other side. Get it to 110 and check the thermostat housing, and the water pump inlet from the radiator, so you're reading a painted cast iron surface for a good reading.

Eric Rop

It holds water seems to be no gases in the cooling system, those temperatures are taken at different circles after stopping to cool to 70 degree, as per your proposal will allow it heat to 110 and take again, this engine has no belt but fan is bolted directly to crankshat

Eric Rop

That's including 110 degree

Attachments

• IMG-20220401-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20220401-WA0005.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 4

Eric Rop

But with the blocked bypass, you would expect the engine to to heat up slowly

Delmer

The engine will not heat up slower with the bypass blocked, the thermostat will open the bypass and close the radiator until hot, then block the bypass and open the radiator.

The temperatures taken at 85-90 don't tell anything. We need to see what the temperatures of the radiator are at 100-105.

I've never seen a perkins without a fan belt. I've never seen a CRANKSHAFT driven fan, the fan should spin faster than the crankshaft typically.

Has this overheated quickly as long as you've had this, or did it not overheat before and now it does?

Eric Rop

The machine has been working with max temperature of 85 and when it reaches 95 it used to drop back quickly to 80-85. I have used for more than 3 years without this overheating issues.

Eric Rop

The engine will not heat up slower with the bypass blocked, the thermostat will open the bypass and close the radiator until hot, then block the bypass and open the radiator.

The temperatures taken at 85-90 don't tell anything. We need to see what the temperatures of the radiator are at 100-105.

I've never seen a perkins without a fan belt. I've never seen a CRANKSHAFT driven fan, the fan should spin faster than the crankshaft typically.

Has this overheated quickly as long as you've had this, or did it not overheat before and now it does?

Attachments

• IMG-20220401-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20220401-WA0005.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 7

Eric Rop

The last temperature on that document are the temperature of gauge from temperature sensor

Delmer

The temperature sensor seems to be reading higher than the other readings. A temperature reading of the engine block or head, away from the exhaust manifold, is the best judge of coolant temperature. The water pump should be cooler because it is taking water from the radiator. The thermostat should be very close to the block and head when HOT. None of this is causing it to release water, just makes it a little more complicated to see what's going on.

How about a picture of the fan and drive off the crankshaft? or what model is this machine?

Eric Rop

What's normally difference between infrared thermometer reading and actual internal temperature?