• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
About the only reason you ship combines with no wheels is to keep the height down where there's height restrictions.

We have a few trailer manufacturers here who build special trailers to haul combines, the outer sections are dipped lower to the road, so the height stays under the limit (4.3 metres here) without needing overheight permits.

But these trailers are becoming lower in number every year, as standard drop-deck trailers and the steady removal of height-restrictive infrastructure, means they're needed less and less with every passing year.

Truck Shop

About the only reason you ship combines with no wheels is to keep the height down where there's height restrictions.

We have a few trailer manufacturers here who build special trailers to haul combines, the outer sections are dipped lower to the road, so the height stays under the limit (4.3 metres here) without needing overheight permits.

But these trailers are becoming lower in number every year, as standard drop-deck trailers and the steady removal of height-restrictive infrastructure, means they're needed less and less with every passing year.

There's a few farmers around here with special built combine trailers, but most all have a shop
big enough to work on them on the farm. Or have a mobile come out. In most cases the header
is removed and roaded.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I saw one today on I-80 WB in Reno. F-whatever probably 550 the kind with just a crew cab, frame and 5th wheel hauling 3 cars plus a Apria healthcare van on a car transporter with 3 single tire axles. Could not get a pic, busy driving but he was going slow and had not even hit the Sierras yet, was out by Boomtown.

I thought the DOT had been cracking down on these hotshotters but there seem to be more of them. Whatever the situation the big Truckee coop was up ahead so they were going to look at him one way or another.

56wrench

Most of the dealerships here have their own tractor/trailer units, usually neck detach style with outriggers or aprons that can handle the biggest combines and tractors with duals. That’s just for local but from the factory and long distances usually the duals are separate to be installed at the dealer

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Nope - it's 39 secs in, from the start of this YooToob video .....

I just clipped a couple of screenshots from the video to produce the two photos.

I reckon he must've ordered the E55 heavy duty suspension option, with the 14 ply tyres.

Last edited:

ianjoub

369785414_145001948651413_3057050598175761667_n.jpg

Truck Shop

This crud started at 9:00 pm Friday with the double set of vans hitting a abandoned car along
side I-84 west bound a half mile west of Biggs Junction Ore on the Columbia river. Then at 12:30
am Saturday a ODOT warning vehicle and tow trucks were parked on the shoulder, the fuel
transport hit the ODOT vehicle and it landed in the river. Tanker was empty headed to Longview.
The emergency vehicles had all lights flashing.
I got a first hand view of this mess at 6:30 am on the way to Brooks antique truck show.
367427677_7226874410662205_3531682597054877088_n.jpg