• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Well of course it is an "emergency rush type job" that way they can suck all kinds of overtime out of the job.
It's all contractors, the State doesn't do that type of work themselves. Some places they are grinding a slot a few inches deep and repaving with epoxy where the ruts are too bad. Other places they have been digging out the entire slab and reconstructing it. All late in the fall when snow can fly any day or night. Of course we had a fair bit of low snow yesterday and Wednesday so I'm sure they are done for the season now.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Looks to me like he could've fitted another couple of logs on.......

2z8gl9xlmh771.jpg

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I got 2 sets of dual rails sitting around, I contemplate time to time whether I should get another decent semi or stick with a 6 x 6 and try to find a way to make it work with more speed and power.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Spud Monkey - My bad, I thought I saw SRW - now with my cleaned glasses, I see it's DRW, and capable.
But the receiver hitch (or more importantly, the way it's all attached to the chassis) is the big $64 question.

I had a receiver hitch on my 4WD F-100 and the chassis rails ended up cracking, just occasionally pulling a 1000 U.K. gallon (4500 litre) 4 wheel, articulated front axle, fuel tanker.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
A JD450 behind a SRW Ford Superduty?? I wouldn't want to be sharing the road with him!

i0kmuk00b4u71.jpg
Actually, The trailer is overloaded, but not far beyond the tow rating of the truck. I believe the platform rating of F350 SRW is around 22000 LBS. An early JD450 was only about 14000. That newer one looks much heavier.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
There are any number of people who just have to see just how far they can test the engineers calculations.

Remember when we had these plates on the dash or the firewall? They had the same type of people back then, too!

I can recall demolishing an old prospectors hut in the W.A. Goldfields. Under the floorboards was a copy of the "Kalgoorlie Miner" newspaper, dated 1936.

In the motoring ads there was one amusing ad. "For Sale. 1935 model, one-ton Chev truck. Will carry two tons".

Attachments

• Overspeeding-Overloading.jpg
    Overspeeding-Overloading.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 25

Truck Shop

There are any number of people who just have to see just how far they can test the engineers calculations.

Remember when we had these plates on the dash or the firewall? They had the same type of people back then, too!
Correct, per-capita same number of morons now as was then except we have youtube to
thank for showing more of it.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
When I bought my derelict gold mine in the early 1970's, there were a couple of Huntingdon Crushing Mills left installed, out of six that had originally been installed around 1947.

In the bushes nearby there was the remains of a 1-ton AA Ford truck - just the chassis and wheels and a few panels, and the remains of a wooden tray.

An old Slav prospector named Mick lived nearby - and he'd been there since 1923 - and I was talking to him one day about the Huntingdon Mills - and how they got them to the mine?
The rail line ran past about a mile away, and the Mills would have been sent down by rail - but I was keen to find out how they got them from the siding to the mine.

"Oh, they brought them up here on the old Ford truck!", said Mick - gesturing to the wreck of the old wooden-spoked wheel, AA Ford!

"But a Huntingdon Mill weighs SIX TONS!", I said to him.
Old Mick grinned. "Yes, I know that! So, we drove real slow! But you shoulda seen those back tyres, I thought they was gonna bust!!" :D