• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

cfherrman

What do you call Central Kansas?

Ive had a yard and a half of mason sand in my f250, was quite heavy and loaded better than that feed bag, if they could have got it a touch forward might have had some steering along the way.

crane operator

What do you call Central Kansas?

Ha- I just noticed your location. Had supper in Junction City friday night, we spent the night in Hays, looked at a crane saturday morning. I was back home saturday by 5:00.

Truck thermometer said 11 saturday morning, but I didn't think it felt that cold. I brought my coat and hat and gloves, my wife only brought a light jacket and I had to make a run to home depot for stocking hat and gloves because she was cold. I told her before we left but-

cfherrman

Come on guys, that's a four wheel drive f350; if you look around the net, you'll soon learn they can haul ANYTHING!

F250's can as well.

Is there even such a thing as a 2wd pickup these days?

Yes in texas

Ha- I just noticed your location. Had supper in Junction City friday night, we spent the night in Hays, looked at a crane saturday morning. I was back home saturday by 5:00.

Truck thermometer said 11 saturday morning, but I didn't think it felt that cold. I brought my coat and hat and gloves, my wife only brought a light jacket and I had to make a run to home depot for stocking hat and gloves because she was cold. I told her before we left but-

Yeah we have a saying in Kansas, wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the wind, and it wasn't windy that morning, was a very nice morning.

Where did you look at the crane? Hess?

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
It's all I got, and I live in snow country.

I just go home when it snows, it will get plowed soon enough. Also I have learned the hard way where and when I can and can't go. I was out wallering around in it just last week.
I don't think I've ever seen anything 2wd that was newer than the square body era.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I don't think I've ever seen anything 2wd that was newer than the square body era.

We have a 1999 F250 service truck that is 2wd, along with the old square bodies. I talked an old coworker into 2wd for his RV hauling pickup (he was about to retire) 20 years ago, it was a Dodge diesel. He passed away long ago, can't ask him now how he liked it.

I like not hauling around a bunch of iron, transfer case, drive shaft, pumpkin, knuckles, and the associated complication that goes with them when they wear out. I guess I got it from my grandpa, literally (still have his truck) and the Great Depression never ended in my family, practical and utilitarian to the max.

There is a wide range of elevation here, I go work in the low country if the high country is snowed out. It melts eventually (usually)

cfherrman

I've seen that before. A tool guy in the oilfield always had a 2wd and his last truck he finally bought a 4wd around 5 years before he retired. You really need a 4wd out here in the oilfield, we still work in the mudd but they don't want to pay for cats or something else to get you in or out

Old Doug

I have had mostly 2wd and would like to have another. The last one i drove i steal have it but its in bad shape it has over 750.000 miles . I liked it and if i had to do it agin i would spend the money and buy a air locker for the rear end. I think the extra wear and tear ,the extra gas and what ever else i saved money and extra repairs its not worth having a 4wd . Yes there is a place were having a 4wd is very needed but i dont need a 4wd very often . Hauling scrap iron almost every one dont want you making a mud pit out of there place and as every one knows its no fun working in the mud so i tried not to.
I told a buddy that is retierd i wanted to find a 2wd he said how can you get by i ask him when was the last time you used 4wd in your pickup and he couldnt tell me.