• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I've owned 10? pickups. Never driven one regularly. It drives me crazy to look out in the distance at what I want, no way to get to it but climb.
Everything is wet, vulnerable to theft.

I drive a van. I carry 14' long lumber inside with the doors closed. I carry a 24' extension ladder inside. My doors keep critters, thieves & rain out mostly. I get better fuel economy, & I can reach everything standing on the ground.

cfherrman

Wife has a van, with a trailer hitch.......

I love the thing, best way to haul people around and drives like a car. We had a expedition, it's different for different jobs. I loled at the hitch and said I'd never use it but one time we were out of town and my brother called about a lawn mower for sale and we picked it up on the way home with his trailer. Bought it for $2800, it's worth more than that now. If I need to do an errand in town I take the van, no need to fire up the diesel that is over $1 a mile. Got a sheet of sheet rock one time when it was raining out, didn't want to remove the middle seats just folded them and had to tilt the front seats forward for it to fit, truly lol. You could drive 90 down interstate with a dead hooker on the hood. Truly a lol wagon.

Long bed pickups only look right with a regular cab, 4 doors look right with a short bed.

Old Doug

Every one does and has different jobs to do . A short bed is ok for me because a long bed is way to small i almost always use a trailer. My f600 14' flat bed has been great its easy to drive and can haul more than 3 pickups. For years i was going to put a hoist on a 3/4 or one ton no offence to any one but now that set up would have been a joke way to small. Maybe i am wrong but when i go to haul scrap,bruch or trash if i cant put together a full load i am just being lazy.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Personally I'm partial to the extended cab 6.5' bed. I hate carrying groceries or other things I've purchased in the front seat. I don't haul around passengers much, if at all, so I don't need the big backseat. I can still haul my toys, toolbox, building supplies etc in the back. The tiny little 5 foot whatever box is literally the worst thing to ever happen to trucks.

cfherrman

My pickup has fold out floors under the back seats and you fold up the seats and gives you 2-3' x the width of the can for a flat cargo surface, works great for groceries.

ianjoub

Long bed pickups only look right with a regular cab, 4 doors look right with a short bed.
I think my truck looks good proportionally speaking as a crew cab with a long bed:

001.jpg

I do agree that these do not look right:

31232219742.jpg

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Years ago when I bought my truck I was also looking for a long box but I also came across a mega cab and those only come in short box… long story short (pun intended) the long box truck sold before I could make a deal on it and the mega cab had pretty much every option I wanted minus the long box so I thought what the heck and bought it, thinking I would get the long bed conversion one day, a day that has yet to arrive and most likely never will. I am sure happy with the mega cab what with all the crap my wife packs on road trips plus the kids have all sorts of room for their stuff… there’s only been a time or 2 where I wished I had a long box… I just built myself a trailer for when I need the extra room…

Attachments

• 904CDE74-6343-4229-894C-C8A9569A9688.jpeg
    904CDE74-6343-4229-894C-C8A9569A9688.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • 591D486F-A150-4A35-B23C-42C18B35B39C.jpeg
    591D486F-A150-4A35-B23C-42C18B35B39C.jpeg
    893.6 KB · Views: 41

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
There is a Reason I added a Class 4 to this and a electric brake controller.. It will replace the Ford F250 when I am ready, tow ANY trailer I have or can get, haul ANYTHING I need to and not be on the ground or hitch damaged or a accident looking to detonate at next crossroads.
IMG_0656.JPG
IMG_0739.JPG

And even with ALL the work and parts and effort STILL under $65k for the Beast, Cannot touch half the truck in a One Ton as little as three years old and due for serious repairs for that.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
View attachment 275638 View attachment 275639

Not quite yet.

When these Things came on the market years ago Chevey should have come up with a name that fit.
{The CHEVY SILVERADO BIGGG BUNNS} just for those who like big buns. Misfit/Ugly.

Wife calls Every Dually box bed with fender flares Fugly trucks with Hips!! She asked one guy with a smokin custom paint job on one, does the Color or scheme make you think that Looks Good??? I about spit my beer up!!

colson04

Not an overload as much as an under secured load. I could see the bobcat rocking as I followed him down the road. He has 2 chains with binders on the rear of the machine and nothing on the boom or front end of the machine. Both chains that were used were loose and flapping in the breeze. You can see how much the machine had turned since it was loaded.

20221221_184615.jpg