• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

Welder Dave

That's scary. Considering deck trucks are usually operated by towing companies, you would think the driver would know better. I guess not.

suladas

the trailer above might be on the edge of OK but that truck is not up to that. 16K GVW on the trailer, and the empty weight on those is 4 K, and a 305.5 e with cab is 11905
Of course there is not a single chain in sight either : facepalm:
picture two is a genuine FAAFO moment.

What's wrong it's at least a 2500? Nothing wrong with pulling 15k trailer provided it isn't overloaded and everything is within it's capacity behind a pickup. I pull 18k behind my 3500 SRW without a second thought on a triple 7k trailer bumper pull.

suladas

that looks like a 2014 so Sierra 2500, the towing capacity is 13000.
https://www.google.com/search?q=201...me..69i57.13941j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
That combo is 16000.

The difference between a 2500 and 3500 srw on most pickups is overload spring in the rear, nothing else. While they can print whatever ratings they want, they mean very little. Many trucks the towing capacity is changed by thousands with simply a different rear axle ratio, which has absolutely nothing to do with safety the only difference is it makes it easier on the drivetrain.

Welder Dave

It depends a little on how often you tow, how far and the terrain you tow in. The biggest concern when approaching the capacity of the tow vehicle is braking. You're on the highway with lots of hills and intersections with a lot of stop and go situations, you want a bigger truck with more adequate braking. A heavy trailer can push a lighter truck around pretty easily in the right circumstances. You're just in the city, streets are pretty flat and you're not going over 40 MPH or long distances, then you could maybe be approaching the tow limit of the vehicle but make darn sure the brakes on the vehicle and the trailer are in good working order.

cfherrman

Well, speaking of on a 250.......

28800 total weight, Texas to Kansas with no engine fan, but had two electric fans from a Ford flex that were not adequate.

Attachments

• IMG_20200510_104304.jpg
    IMG_20200510_104304.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20200510_104316.jpg
    IMG_20200510_104316.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 69

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I had that experience recently, no fan. It was a surprise to me as I did not know the clutch was broken until a long pull. The funny thing was, it would randomly work once in a while and cool things right off. Some parts of the trip were slow with the windows open and heater on. Good thing it was cool and rainy outside.

Old Doug

How slow are you going before you need a fan? I have ran electric fans on my last 2 pickups and they were not needed unless i was going maybe 20 mph or less . I would turn them on if i was in town stop and go.

cfherrman

I pulled my clutch fan off around 2 years before, it was stuck on. I ran no fan until a couple months before. Ac would go out and stoplights was only side effect.

There are no 12v electric fans that can even come close to a clutch fan, you would need a 150+ amp fan. When I see people put a electric fan only on a diesel I laugh, as you will never use that thing like a diesel with electric fans.

It was a cool day around 70° luckily. On the way down I ran 70 and used 1 fan. On the way back I used both, windows down, heat on, and half throttle, I literally watched live engine data the whole time and kept the hpop under 2000 psi otherwise it would runaway with heat. I kept the engine temp under 220, otherwise it would runaway with heat. Oil temp and trans temp were normal, trans was always under coolant temp.

Old Doug

I have friends that dont run any fans on some of there pickups believe it or not. My fans are on switches i have to remember to turn it on. I agree it would be hard getting a electric fan to compere to a engine fan. My pickup over heated once with the electric fan . I was towing a full size chevy bus that had a rear brake stuck almost to the point of locking up. I have pulled 25000 pounds and never need the fan unless i was stopped .

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
you do you. I'd never tow a bumper pull approaching the tow rating without a weight equalizing hitch either.
I tow only a 6500 LB camper behind a 3500 Chevy van. It can be unpleasant without equalizer hitch, dangerous without sway control.
Yet a 23,000 trailer & load behind the dump truck is fine without either.

skyking1

yea apples and watermelons LOL. I run about 5000 tongue weight on the 20 ton tilt. It pitches a bit on bad bridge joints, so I slow down for those.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I never really followed the logic on needing bigger brakes on a truck for stopping power when towing. The truck doesn't do the sole braking for the entire combination. The towing vehicle has brakes designed for its GVW. The trailer has its own brakes that are designed to handle its GVW.

I tow a few times a year, not very often I'm above 4,000 lbs but I've never felt I needed to get on the brake pedal any harder to stop. These integrated trailer brake controllers are pretty dang impressive IMO.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I pretty much re-wired my trailer when it was new (like seriously, 6 year old me could have done a far superior wiring job than what comes factory on most trailers). I always test the brakes before I leave and recalibrate the gain whenever load weight changes.

A few years ago I was headed down the highway with an equipment trailer behind me. Had a car blow a stop sign and pull out onto the highway right in front of me. No where to go besides the ditch. Buried the brake pedal and it slowed like there wasn't 2,500 lbs of steel behind me. Stayed straight as an arrow the entire time. Didn't even lock the trailer tires. That was the moment I became a believer in the integrated controllers.

The half tons they build today are not the half tons of yesteryear. These things handle towing far better than the 3/4 and 1 tons from 20+ years ago. I don't max out my truck, stick to about 75% of the rating or less. That said, if I needed to tow more weight or a 5th wheel I would not hesitate in getting a 3/4 or 1 ton.

Last edited: