• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

Truck Shop

Of coarse it's doable-anything is. But even the good ones have a hard time at difficult docks the first time around.
If they've loaded there before and knew the situation then it's on them. they should have thrown on a set of
singles. The South Frisco Fruit and Vegetable terminal never got snow but was hell to back into years ago.
built in the 30's when a long trailer was 30' with a short single axle tractor. When trailers reached 48' even the
best worked their butt off bumping the dock.

4x4ford

Occupation
aunts on the strip Currently drive a 1951 chevy pa
Sitting here in our yard in kc listening to these steering wheel holders slamming **** around and dumping the clutch at half to full throttle leaves no wonder why fleets are going to automatics don’t think I’ve heard or seen one yet that just let the clutch out at idle to get moving

Truck Shop

Sitting here in our yard in kc listening to these steering wheel holders slamming **** around and dumping the clutch at half to full throttle leaves no wonder why fleets are going to automatics don’t think I’ve heard or seen one yet that just let the clutch out at idle to get moving

A high percentage of our company drivers can't drive a manual. And the ones who did are so rusty-real sad.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I tapped the throttle ever so slightly when taking off empty in dad's truck one time and I got in **** over that lol. Haven't done it since.

cfherrman

I learned the hard way on someone's else money, the rigs driveshaft went through a 90 HP box and was really easy to break, which I did. Never used the throttle after that to take off.

Had a guy that had a class a CDL from a school in Miami, he drove it like a car with throttling to take off, you would even hear the engine rev down when the clutch got fully engaged. I told him to stop and to never use the throttle and he said it would die (lol 300 HP l10). So I said try it and the engine didn't die.

That guy couldn't also back a pickup with a trailer, not sure how he got his class a.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I've walked to the garage
Yesterday's entertainment was watching two road drivers trying to back up a snowy ramp to a loading dock. Equipment involved: two freightliners with air rides, unknown transmissions and power dividers, and two humans that weighed approximately 275lb+, sweatpants, 2x to big T shirts, crocs and an apparent preoccupation with whatever was going on in their headsets.
When I was a kid truckers used to wear cowboy boots and jeans. Maybe those crocs affect winter performance more than the truck???
late at night in Crocs. Great way to end up on your a$s.

Truck Shop

TS, one doesn't hear much about the SF produce market anymore, especially on this site! I was there too once about 50 years ago and that was enough for me.

Only people that would know about SFT would be a produce hustler. That was just one
in many bad places to go. Salinas is a story unto it's self. Remember that dump called
Lasley's in San Leandro-pig sty for a truck stop.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
They come to the plant like that. Lay out their tarps on their wood floor trailers, and get their wife to hold the tarp and expect you to hold the bucket over their body. Brand new pickups wanting you to put a full bucket from a 110 Volvo loader on them. Trying to explain that it won't work.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Last I knew at the quarry they would not even consider a pick-up truck. Back in the day we had some good operators who would load them with a 988B, just carefully poke the corner of the bucket in the pile and sprinkle it in the pick-ups. Other times they would also allow the customer to shovel the stone in by hand! Don't think the safety people would like to see that these days!

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I used to have to load pickups all the time. The best were the guys with the little Nissans and such, loading them with a Komatsu WA500. They would keep telling you to drop more until the rims were squashed into the tires and the bumper 6" off the ground. Too many guys watching Ford and Chevy commercials I guess.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Our local places will load a pickup, they charge a good amount for the use of the loader though. Also they do not guarantee any weight because the loader bucket is wider than 8' so a lot spills off the back onto the ground and gets pushed back in the pile. You cross the scale and you pay for whatever landed in your truck bed. You have to sweep off your bumper and stuff.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
The biggest local quarry, Wallingford Crushed Stone, play it another way. They act like they are interested in my old truck I believe the only thing they are concerned with is legal payload. I'm happy to play along. I don't want to be overweight either. My father always said "Go often & go light". In his case he was driving trucks rated for two tons belonged to the Town of Danby. They were a matched pair of Fords converted to four wheel drive by Marmon Herrington. I'm still trying to figure out the year. Pictures are hard to find, my father worked for the town in 1940, then 1946.
WCS will happily send me out 800 lbs under, but never 1 LB over. I have never taken it up with them except to say "you were a little light last load. I believe the loader has a scale & I ask for 7 tons. Former operator was within 20 LBS, "new operator" is often light.
My truck has a 14' long loadbed, it'll carry a full 5 yard bucket. I still wonder about the nuisance factor of a small truck.

cfherrman

Where I get gravel or sand is the local green house. The use a tractor with a 1/3 yard bucket, easy peezy. Biggest load I put on my f250 was 1.3ish yards of mason sand or 4500#

I drove appropriately for the 5-6 miles home.