• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
I watched this guy hauling stumps off a job, he had a late 70's dump, and I have no idea the vintage of the skid steer. The whole thing was pretty comical except for the part where he is running down a state highway 3 or 4 miles . . .

View attachment 281565

I am pretty sure he put a couple more buckets on after I took the pic
If some is good, then more is better, so all you can handle is just about right.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Same practice around here, but change it up to Tandem L9000s or old Stars, brush bark and roots hanging from all four sides and loaded DEEP on mud or stumps or all the above!!

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Back when I was a bunch younger and more impressionable, the outfit I got started at was pretty flexible with loaded weights. If you hauled an extra 5 ton on each load at the end of the day you had a free load! The heaviest load I remember was 105,000 on a Mack R model tri axle. (East coast, legal for like 75k or so, maybe 80 in NJ) They had just gotten a new loader that had the load cells in the boom. We were hauling pond silt to a pit a few miles down the road, and the boss's son in law and I got into a competition to see wo could get the most on the truck. The last two loads were around that 105k mark, which was all we could stuff into the bodies. That pretty much ended the competition because we both scared ourselves driving those loads down the road. I still remember that little Mack straining to make 40mph as it wallowed down the road . . . :eek:

Tyler d4c

Sound like the old timers talking about the homercity 500 first and last load was 105 or better then 80 or 90 rest of the day on a triaxle coal bucket the heaviest I ever heard of was from a old guy at coonies cleaning plant at 148000 them coal bed where huge if the 148 is totally time is left to history

Acoals

Occupation
The heaviest load I heard of while I worked there was a dump trailer that came in at 160k. Just a regular Mack CH tractor and a tri axle trailer. Not a particularly heavy spec rig.

That's what I heard of, but I wasn't anywhere very high on the totem pole at 19 or 20, so who knows what else went on . . lol

Tyler d4c

I have seen a fair number of small engines where the valves returned, but slowly. But this was cranking over at hand speeds. I wonder if this could be a problem on this unit, valves not closing quick enough above a certain RPM. Sort of like valve float but due to gunk in the guides. Crazy idea I know but all the good ideas have been used it seems.

Back when I was a bunch younger and more impressionable, the outfit I got started at was pretty flexible with loaded weights. If you hauled an extra 5 ton on each load at the end of the day you had a free load! The heaviest load I remember was 105,000 on a Mack R model tri axle. (East coast, legal for like 75k or so, maybe 80 in NJ) They had just gotten a new loader that had the load cells in the boom. We were hauling pond silt to a pit a few miles down the road, and the boss's son in law and I got into a competition to see wo could get the most on the truck. The last two loads were around that 105k mark, which was all we could stuff into the bodies. That pretty much ended the competition because we both scared ourselves driving those loads down the road. I still remember that little Mack straining to make 40mph as it wallowed down the road . . . :eek:

Komatsu D-355??
41b Allis

ianjoub

335016633_1178829719463920_1667688761287607359_n.jpg

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Why would a presumably high dollar boat/move job trickle down to the kind of person who would rent a uhaul pickup to do it?

He spent all his money on his tesla, his boat & his girlfriend's condo, not to mention his guilt gifts to his wife. Barely was he able to swing the $19.95 for the truck rental.

Or he solicited bids to move his boat & hired lowest bid.

Acoals

Occupation
I see that kind of stuff pretty regularly where I am. This is lake country, and every Chicago/Milwaukee suburban flatlander is up here all summer with their boat. The best are the Land Rover or similar luxe SUV's towing boats like that. Makes that F150 look like a semi .....

renovator

That trailer looks it may an old Miller and Smith??? There were several in the area when I was breaking in. The neck wasn't long enough for a jeep. I don't know what there were rated, but there were stout trailers. D-9s, 637s, it didn't matter. At the time, there were only two field DOT officers for the entire state of New Mexico, so there wasn't much chance of getting stopped.