• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

skyking1

Here in Washington, they claim it is cheaper. Mill the surface in the morning, send it to the plant and send it back out to lay down in the afternoon. I have read claims that less than 10% of the material is lost and would need to be replaced by new. No idea how accurate that claim is, but it is made regularly.
I can see the reasoning, finding aggregate here in the Puget Sound basin is getting more and more difficult with houses springing up everywhere and nobody wants a gravel pit in "their" back yard.
they grind out between the rumble strips and don't have to go back to restore them.
I did a job with Wildish out of Oregon at Centralia and Chehalis, running tack truck, excavator and loader etc.

Oxbow

Here in Washington, they claim it is cheaper. Mill the surface in the morning, send it to the plant and send it back out to lay down in the afternoon. I have read claims that less than 10% of the material is lost and would need to be replaced by new. No idea how accurate that claim is, but it is made regularly.
I can see the reasoning, finding aggregate here in the Puget Sound basin is getting more and more difficult with houses springing up everywhere and nobody wants a gravel pit in "their" back yard.
They do that here as well to some extent. I don't think that they process it and send it back out that fast, but I'm not sure.

Our state has also experimented with what was called the CRAB method, in which they add cement (dry) to the ground asphalt, then add water and lay it out. They then put a cap lift on it. I don't think it has worked very well as it is really tough to get the mixture and water consistent.

skyking1

Most of the big jobs like the interstate were done with belly dumps, then picked up with an elevator like a Roadtec.
It's too much of a PITA to drop and pick the pups.
Now the super solos are the kings of the moderate sized pave jobs. That is mostly all they haul around here.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
IIRC I saw mention years ago of a "Train" consisting of a mill, overhead conveyor to a mixer, hot tank in between, and a paver at the end.
They did that not far from me here, entire width from shoulder to shoulder was milled down whatever thickness they were going, fed through a bunch of machines, and laid back down all in one continuous process. It has been at least 3 or 4 years now and it is as good as any fresh road, no seal has been applied and a few heavy winters, no cracks or disintegration out of the ordinary. It was sure a long train of machinery when they were doing it. I don't remember what heat source they were using to heat it all.

ianjoub

423006455_713130647669400_9015600615113887898_n.jpg

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Looks like 8 heavy tires on the trailer. From what I see it might be a 15 or 20 ton trailer. If the trailer is overloaded it may not be greatly overloaded.
The truck is another matter.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
215/75R17.5 trailer tires are rated at about 4500lbs each in dual configuration. 36,000lb max load on the tires in a tandem setup. That dozer isn't that big. The tires are fine, and probably the trailer is as well. The towing vehicle, not so much . . .

Truck Shop

Question is--- did he wreck or get pulled over? answer is no. Is what he is doing correct? answer is no.
Is it going to happen today across the U.S.? answer is yes. The reason for these stunts, cheapness.
Which goes back a on going thread about DOT numbers, do I need a bigger trailer and truck?
Answer is yes or hire, simple, but the issue is how can one screw the wording around to mean something
different so it jives with what {They want to read, interpret or hear, that meets their own cheap
behavior along with overloading}.