• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

Welder Dave

In my defense- I shut the road down at the top end, so no traffic to hit. But theoretically, someone could have left one of the 15 houses we went past, and got all tied up with us.

The contractor I was setting them for was all "we can't just shut down the road". So I just dealt with that little problem myself. ;)
You were also following behind so could warn other drivers. See that a lot.

ianjoub

Oh my, Here I go again getting myself in trouble:

Should you do it? Maybe not. Can you do it, probably. Is it the govt's job to tell you NO ... No, it isn't.

If you make it, great for you.

If you do something stupid and kill someone on the way, get a trial. You are found guilty of killing someone from your negligence, capital punishment. An eye for an eye. People will find a balance when the repercussions are there for any given action.

crane operator

You do know I'm totally kidding, right? Most of my moves around here are gravel roads with nobody around. Most on here will probably have their heads explode when I say I only tie a small excavator or dozer down if I'm going on the highway. I do throw a binder on each corner of my 290 since I only have an 8'6" trailer.
Yeah, its not like its 6 lanes in each direction up there. Its easy to point fingers at everyone else's stuff, I figured I just as well admit when its my own things.

We try to do as much legal as we can, but this was off the highway into a residential narrow road, for 3/4 of a mile, I just figured it was easier to just shut the road for the 5 minutes we drove down it.

As far as tying things down, we moved a generator on site today, and only a 1/4 mile. But those generators are probably half a million bucks, and we had a bad little hill to sweep around, so I tied that sucker down.....

Welder Dave

Usually if you have to question it, you probably shouldn't do it. Even with car accidents they say the majority are close to the person's residence or business.

crane operator

In other questions, how far back from the center of the drive axle, do you think that gooseneck hitch is on that glorious Dodge with the pretty blue trailer?

There's a lot of distance between the back bumper of the truck and the front of that trailer. I've always put my hitches just ahead of the rear axle to get a little steer axle weight. But in the picture it sure looks like its behind the axle.

Truck Shop

Here's the thing----if's it's not with in the law---it's on your license IF there is a problem/issue.
As the driver whether commercial or non-commercial once behind the wheel and rolling you
just accepted all responsibility for any cargo, vehicle or trailer. The Cop is not going to the
passenger side of the vehicle to check their license if there is a passenger, no the cop is headed
to the drivers side, unless in OZ or NZ or UK. Anytime it's not kosher----the boss gets to do it,
or the driver says not to day not on my license. It keeps insurance rates lower that way too.
Advise--if you have a CDL don't knowingly put it in jeopardy, and if you don't know ask,
even if you get the wrong answer use your instinct.

Old Doug

In other questions, how far back from the center of the drive axle, do you think that gooseneck hitch is on that glorious Dodge with the pretty blue trailer?

There's a lot of distance between the back bumper of the truck and the front of that trailer. I've always put my hitches just ahead of the rear axle to get a little steer axle weight. But in the picture it sure looks like its behind the axle.
I built my gooseneck back before every one had one . My pickup had a flat bed i built that was short . I cut the pickup frame right behind the spring hangers . I had to build mounts for the bumper it couldnt be bolted on the regular way. I then put my gooseneck hitch farther forward. Back then i was told to put it over the rear end yoke . I had it farther than that . It made it fill like under power it pulled up on the front end . Sometime later i built a new GN hitch and moved it back which felt better. I did a lot of work to the pickup i moved the engine as far forward as i could because my last pickup wore the front tires because of pulling a bumper hitch and it pulling up on the front end. It worked or something because the front tires last great and never wore funny.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
You do know I'm totally kidding, right? Most of my moves around here are gravel roads with nobody around. Most on here will probably have their heads explode when I say I only tie a small excavator or dozer down if I'm going on the highway. I do throw a binder on each corner of my 290 since I only have an 8'6" trailer.

You're going to send some of these Armchair Quarterbacks to the third floor of the mental hospital if you keep that up . . .

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Most of the wooden bridges I have ever seen look sketchy enough for a car . . .

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
This happened over 50 years ago, it was touch and go. Ravenswood, Queensland, Australia.
They sourced a local Cat D8 and used it to pull the truck and trailer and scraper off the broken bridge without even unloading it.
The authorities installed a temporary military Bailey Bridge to replaced the broken one, it was an important bridge.

Attachments

• Bell-Bros-bridge-1.jpg
    Bell-Bros-bridge-1.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Bell-Bros-bridge-2.jpg
    Bell-Bros-bridge-2.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Bell-Bros-bridge-3.jpg
    Bell-Bros-bridge-3.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 71