• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Packers

Canadian_digger

We are looking to get a roller compactor. We have only rented one a couple of times. I am not sure if we should get a 54" or 66". It will be mainly used for packing gravel and sand. Driveways, prep for cement pads and rental. I was thinking a 66" might be better, but they seem to cost a lot more. This is a machine that we will not use that much so we don't want to spend more that we have to.

What would the pros and cons of the two different sizes?

Thanks.

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
I'm just thinking, you have a skid steer loader from what I see in your signature. Have you considered just getting a roller attachment for your skidsteer if you're not going to use all that much? I imagine they'd cost a lot less to buy than full on roller, and there'd be very little, if any, maintenance, just hook up and go. I have no idea what size would be better... Sorry I'm not of any more help.

Last edited:

Canadian_digger

I look into that in the past. I think a roller will compact better, and would aslo be easyer and better for rental.

andoman

Both would be adequate for the application you described. The larger drum just means more production on larger jobs, but on a driveway it won't matter.

Asphalt/Dirtman

both rollers you describe are very large for what you want to do, if it was large parking lots, large building pads, etc, ud be set. But for driveways and concrete pads a 48" roller is plenty. very easy to find. Easier to move, could be put on the same trailer with other equipment. But they are packing machines. Still can do larger stuff like parking lots.
My understanding is the attachment rollers for skidsteers don't work that well but the sheepsfoot one would still be handy i think. Thats the conclusion i came to in my research.

Laxin

Crazy story about a hamm packer. The seat turns and as I got out and shut the door the lever got caught in the door and started rolling backwards. Thought id share that. Can I make some thread now. I have some nice stories to tell.