• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pay rates in various parts of the world?

morgsD6r

hi guys im a new to this i work in vic Oz i have had a few beers and my spelling is not the best but i can not post on your site i want to ask about pay rates in other places eg us europe dubie and south asain in Oz vic, it is about 32 a hour around 1500 a week with over time and saturdays please help me morgs sorry if you cant read this

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Hi, morgsD6r. Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums. :)

I moved your post from KoO's "bad business" thread, to it's own thread here.

BTW, now that you have more than three posts, you should be able to post threads of your own.

morgsD6r

hey guys all i really want to know is your pay rate i want to work over seas and what to compare rates please help

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
how do u start a new post?

When you're looking at the section of the board you want to start your thread in, you'll see, at the top left corner, above the list of threads, a button to start threads. With 72 posts, you should have no problem with that.

Back to the topic of this one--can somebody give morgs an answer? (Sorry morgs. I don't know.)

Last edited:

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
For us here in Alberta, operator wages go from low 20's for the smaller companies, to around 40 bucks an hour for operators, depending on what you run and how good you are.

OilPatch

We're at $44 an hour for senior opps at the mine I'm in.... I think entry rate is arround 34-35 after a 3 month probation.... All OT is double time and hollidays are triple

morgsD6r

thanks oilpatch i been looking online for work overseas for ages but can not find anythink in the uk or asia the pay seems really low, i am only young and want to see some of the world but need to keep a income (paying off house in oz) 44 an hour sounds really good what are you mining and where in canada is the mine thanks morgan

Eddiebackblade

UK Rates

Just to put you in the picture of the UK as I see it at the moment.

Firstly if you have no CSCS card for the type of machine you intend to drive, you will need to get it. To go into the hoops we British operaters have to jump through just to get one would be a completely new thread.

However rates of pay seem to reflect a kind of Hierarcy effect, with a Backhoe loader bouncing along at the bottom and Rubber duck at the top. ( actually it,s a Grader at the top, but very very rare here)

The main factor is your ability in the seat, and how much supervision you need to get the job done.
I would say rates vary from around £7hr to around the £14 mark depending on machine type and location.
However the real money is on the Railway maintenance where up to £25hr with many additional benefits can easily be achieved.

There is one common factor I am certain of, whoever i speak to around here always asks if I know a good driver.
The answer is always the same, 'if they are any good they are usually working.'
If you get any opportunity over here go for it, you can always move on.

pushcat

Way too many variables to give an accurate answer. Around here an experienced makes $15-20/hr. But overtime is where you make your money. I can usually get 20 OT hours a week if I want them. The kicker for me is my incentive bonus. If I make the company some money without costing them too much, they reward me. Almost got enough to buy a new pickup,but the tax and title were too much. But here a family of four can live very comfortably on 50K a year, can get by on 40K.

OilPatch

I'm in Fort McMurray, Alberta and we mine oilsand up here... If you have experience, you could possibly hook a job with one of the mines. Most are non union, with the exception of Suncor who is CEP... There are many contractors up here too which are usually easier to get on with, and most are OE

And don't take me wrong and start dreaming of dollar signs, it took me about 3 years to hit the top wages with the mines and I cought some breaks allong the way... but you could reasonably expect upwards of $30 if you showed up here tomorrow

Cost off living is a little high too.... 2 bedroom apt. will run you over 2 grand! and theres usually a 3 or 4 month waiting list to get into one

AlanF

my buddy is up in Fort Mac doing GPS surveying, makes $2k a week.
When I was running a hoe in Fort St.John (oil country in northern BC, canada) I was making $22 an hour but I was grossing $12,000 a month, including $100 a day for my pickup and free fuel. Travel time as well, paid straight time..so the pickup, free fuel, hourly wage +OT and travel time all add up substantially. Plus if you work out of camp there are no living expenses, they pay for the roof over your head and all the meals. Its seasonal, in the winter because the best areas to drill from are usually under a swampy muskeg area, which needs to be frozen to access....and speaking of Frozen, we are talking -40c before the windchill (which can make it feel like -50 or worse)...but the money is good!!