• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Payhaulers

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
I just posted in the loader thread looking for pics of the old Terex loaders and thought....I'd also like to see the old International Payhauler rigid dump trucks. Anyone have any pics or info about them? They looked pretty impressive with the dual front tires:cool: I see Terex is producing them again under the Payhauler name. What were the International ones powered by?

While we're at it, any Mack M series haulers? Or the Mack Pac?

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I used to build models as a kid and Ertl made a Payhauler kit, Ertl was very accurate in their reproductions. Their kit had a 16V-71 Detroit in the truck.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I worked on a few 350 Payhaulers back in the early eighties. I worked on machines that worked on the Satsop nuclear plants that had 16V 71 Detroits. A few years later I was on a highway job by Mt. St. Helens where there was a fleet that had 12V 1710 Cummins engines. I never had to work on a transmisson in one of these but as I recall they had Allisons.

They were expensive to operate compared to a 50 ton Terex, Euclid or Cat but the all wheel drive let them run in soft or wet material when no others would. We had lots of broken axles and final drives. The retarders worked well but if the radiators got any dust or mud in them the whole machine would get hot in a hurry.

At any rate all the components were very heavy and the truck as a whole was a pain to work on. Whenever I left one, after getting it running again, that I never wanted to ever work on one of them again.

I don't see much future in the design now days as Artics do the same job a lot better for a lot less money.

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
Thanks guys. Ya Steve, I have a small diecast Ertle toy. I had it since I was a kid, now my son has it. Very detailed (even has all the IH decals on it.) I also have a matching TD 20 dozer. They're from the early 70's I think. I think I remember seeing the model kit, never had one though.

John, with all the negatives everyone speaks of them, it makes you wonder why Terex is producing them again? I wonder if the reliability has been improved on the new ones? I just read the brochure on the new ones. They claim it is cheaper to replace the 8 smaller tires on it compared to 6 bigger ones on a ATD. I see the new ones offer both Cummins QSK or Cat 3408 HEUI at around 635 h.p. Also says they are 72,800 pounds empty, 172,800 pounds gross.

alco

At any rate all the components were very heavy and the truck as a whole was a pain to work on. Whenever I left one, after getting it running again, that I never wanted to ever work on one of them again.

It sure is nice to see someone who shares my opinion of them. It's been 5 years since I had to deal with them, and I'm still having nightmares. We had 10 all told, 2 with the Cummins, 3 with the 16V Detroits and 5 with the 12V Detroit DDEC engines. Tough trucks for the most part, but man, whoever designed them sure hated the folks that would have to work on them.

Brian

gd10r

Never had the "opportunity" to work on them or operate them but for some goofy reason I always liked the look of the trucks. I have a model of them in 1:50 in both the old Payhauler colors and the "New" terex color. Very detailed and fun to look at. I think that they were one of those over engineered, one unit to do everything type of vehicle that occasionally makes its way forward. I have attached the only photo I have of the older ones, I purchased this on ebay and am probally violating every copyright known.
I recall that there were a bunch on the Tenn Tom Project years ago loaded by holland loaders. Have an ad somewhere with like 8 of the buggers lined up, under a holland loader pulled by a pair of HD41B tractors.
Graham

Attachments

• CAP630.jpg
    CAP630.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 751
Last edited by a moderator:

surfer-joe

I worked on a couple back in the eighties whilst employed by HW Moore in Grand Junction, the International dealer for Colorado. Not a lot of fun getting to the transmission or getting it out and back in. As I recall, that contractor had six or eight of the beasts, initially in the oil shale projects near Parachute, then on a dam over in south eastern Utah. The other field mechanic we had spent a lot of time on them and was considered the company expert. He was a little bit nuts. I can't really see a market for these machines either, as someone else here said, the artic's really have taken over the field. I suppose it could be said that the Payhaulers have an edge in top speed, but the basic design is now over forty years old and it has never been a real money maker for anyone that's owned the company.