• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Perkins - CAV/DPA Injection pump no start

guitarbrian

My Perkins 4.236t with the CAV/DPA fuel injection pump was leaking a lot of diesel, so I took it out, resealed it. Now it doesn't leak! But it also doesn't run. I was able to bleed it up to the injectors, but I don't seem to be getting enough fuel. Even after several attempts over the last 2 days, I'm holding the throttle wide open, (tried in idle as well) and it just barely drips while spinning it. Once I tighten the lines, I haven't had it fire once.

I didn't take apart the actual pump part, just removed it, and replaced all the o-rings and seals.

I'm going to pull the inlet and double check I put all the piston, and springs in correctly. Then I think I'll pull the top, and make sure the shutoff is moving freely, which is seems to be, but I'll check anyway.

Any CAV expert what to speculate what I did wrong?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
the problem usually lies in the end plate (inlet) where the piston and spring lives..
If u took the regulator out, it goes: start spring (funky looking coil spring)
Regulator, piston, spring, regulator plug ( small step down into regulator)
Big spring, big copper gasket and inlet nut (15/16)

Usually what I see is the regulator plug is up side down..
The shorter end goes DOWN.
Good luck and I’m always available to go thru it and double check your work..