• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Phase Out of Non-Emission Engines

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
You don't think millions of plastic water bottles thrown away every day doesn't hurt?
Mildly interesting story, when I was working in Tampa on a reservoir project the owner basically made us stop buying bottled water. Any time they could find “trash” they’d write up a quality incident report. Got bad enough that management started giving talks to us lower level guys out on the grade to push us into forcing compliance with the men making sure water bottles were collected and trashed “correctly”. That was about as effective as herding cats, for good reason.

In the end they just bought what seemed like 100ea 5 gallon water jugs, spent probably $30k to build a ice and water shipping container and hired probably 3 guys onto the safety staff to clean, fill and just ride around on the Deere Gators we had to distribute them and collect them. Project engineer said it would save money because of the spend we’d save on buying pallets of bottled water. I never believed it.

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
Thing about this is--------------------it wasn't just sad sack california businesses--it effected
thousands and thousands and thousands of out of state trucking companies.
My company had a rule in dispatchers office for brokers calling wanting us to haul into california.
{The only way a Tate truck will cross Oregon state line into California, is if the driver is held
hostage with a knife held to his throat} which would usually end with broker hanging up never
to call again.
Our superintendent drove over the road after things fell apart in 2008/9. He told me that the truck he wasn’t legal to run into CA after around 2012 if I recall correctly. It’s was powered with an older Cat 3406B that was turned up and was pretty obvious that it was when he fed the fuel to it. No way to really blend in…

Keith Merrell

Both of my trucks came from California. I got an 86 Freightliner FLC in 2021 when the first round was implemented. Then, in Jan 2023 I bought an 03 Freightliner Classic with a detroit S60 from another guy in California. Then I also bought a 710G backhoe out of Santa Cruz CA that was gotten rid of because of CARB regs. I have nothing to add other than its a bunch of power BS. Also, look up into the sky, you will see chemtrailing, substantial evidence various groups are seeding the atmosphere, and knowing the current condition of things, the motives are likely malicious.

Truck Shop

Our superintendent drove over the road after things fell apart in 2008/9. He told me that the truck he wasn’t legal to run into CA after around 2012 if I recall correctly. It’s was powered with an older Cat 3406B that was turned up and was pretty obvious that it was when he fed the fuel to it. No way to really blend in…
On the agriculture end----one thing that is a multimillion dollar business annually in the
land of milk and honey is apiary's hauling their bees for pollination in the business of
growing nuts. One apiary here-some 35,000 hives, spread over 5 states.
When the carb levels reached the 2015 level this apiary took two 2007 Pete 379's with
ISX Cummins to Cummins to have them retro fitted with DPF/Def emissions to comply.
Cummins nailed them some $30,000 each--problem was both systems didn't work.
Cummins backed out and the honey farm ate it. Both trucks got gutted and just ran the
northern tier. They operate 8 class 8's, those two were sold along time back now.

cfherrman

Mildly interesting story, when I was working in Tampa on a reservoir project the owner basically made us stop buying bottled water. Any time they could find “trash” they’d write up a quality incident report. Got bad enough that management started giving talks to us lower level guys out on the grade to push us into forcing compliance with the men making sure water bottles were collected and trashed “correctly”. That was about as effective as herding cats, for good reason.

In the end they just bought what seemed like 100ea 5 gallon water jugs, spent probably $30k to build a ice and water shipping container and hired probably 3 guys onto the safety staff to clean, fill and just ride around on the Deere Gators we had to distribute them and collect them. Project engineer said it would save money because of the spend we’d save on buying pallets of bottled water. I never believed it.

Guys around here buy bottled water and then want to share it and have you buy it too. I have a 5 gallon jug and put free water in it and I don't cramp up in the summer because it hold like 2 flats of water in it. Company buys ice.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
On the agriculture end----one thing that is a multimillion dollar business annually in the
land of milk and honey is apiary's hauling their bees for pollination in the business of
growing nuts. One apiary here-some 35,000 hives, spread over 5 states.
When the carb levels reached the 2015 level this apiary took two 2007 Pete 379's with
ISX Cummins to Cummins to have them retro fitted with DPF/Def emissions to comply.
Cummins nailed them some $30,000 each--problem was both systems didn't work.
Cummins backed out and the honey farm ate it. Both trucks got gutted and just ran the
northern tier. They operate 8 class 8's, those two were sold along time back now.
There was a time that some trucks were running around with those Cummins Cleaire filters installed and gutted with a letter behind the seat from the powers that be about being exempt because the filters did not work. It was a huge fiasco.

Truck Shop

There was a time that some trucks were running around with those Cummins Cleaire filters installed and gutted with a letter behind the seat from the powers that be about being exempt because the filters did not work. It was a huge fiasco.
That's not what these systems were, a complete currant system was installed. I worked on
these trucks, both were removed and deleted back to early 2002 ISX. The systems are still
laying in a scrap pile at their shop. Plus I was incorrect low on price, it was $40,000 each.

chidog

You don't think millions of plastic water bottles thrown away every day doesn't hurt?
Yeah but I bet PLASTIC KIDS TOYS, AND POWER TOOLS like chainsaws, drills etc. has those water bottles beat, then there are all the plastic parts on cars that are tossed as well. Those water bottles are a small fraction of the plastic waste problem. The real sad part is we all know that all plastic is from crude oil aka petroleum, so I say use all this plastic garbage as the fuel it really is.
This plastic H2o bottle problem should not be a concern in the US as we have a recycle bin we put them in, so leave our bottles alone here and deal with the countries that do such polluting.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Just on our news as a Edge notification, 21 states are now sueing EPA for forced mandates, seems CFR rules are treated as laws but were implemented outside of the base rules to do so. Any Coded Rule has to meet criteria against Excessive Cost upon Consumer, Business or Industry, arrives too severe becomes a mandate to legislate. That has been ignored for awhile and is headed back home as a penalty.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Yeah but I bet PLASTIC KIDS TOYS, AND POWER TOOLS like chainsaws, drills etc. has those water bottles beat, then there are all the plastic parts on cars that are tossed as well. Those water bottles are a small fraction of the plastic waste problem. The real sad part is we all know that all plastic is from crude oil aka petroleum, so I say use all this plastic garbage as the fuel it really is.
This plastic H2o bottle problem should not be a concern in the US as we have a recycle bin we put them in, so leave our bottles alone here and deal with the countries that do such polluting.
Plastic unlike other materials can be only recycled so many times. So yeah you are going to feel great recycling that water bottle they claim will be recycled through greenwashing initiatives by oil companies who help promote this idiocracy. Why, cause they profit off it, that plastic is going right into a landfill, only 1% of all plastic is ever recycled twice.

cfherrman

Most "recycled" materials goes to a landfill, I think it's like 70% as recycling centers only have so much capacity, they do have to start somewhere.

Just on our news as a Edge notification, 21 states are now sueing EPA for forced mandates, seems CFR rules are treated as laws but were implemented outside of the base rules to do so. Any Coded Rule has to meet criteria against Excessive Cost upon Consumer, Business or Industry, arrives too severe becomes a mandate to legislate. That has been ignored for awhile and is headed back home as a penalty.

Good to hear, iml don't know when scotus is taking on Chevron deference but when that goes we will be in a better shape, as it stands right now in 2027 truck prices will double.

chidog

That non recyclable plastic needs to be turned into fuel like mentioned above. Total polluting waste dumping it in a land fuel. I still bet there is way more Kids toys than water bottles, as far as plastic pollution goes. I'd like to see the containers of old used again for quarts of motor oil. Look at that huge plastic waste problem.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
As I returned to trucks after retired had to laugh at the nonsense. DEF in plastic jugs, wrapped in Cardboard by the absolute Truckload as empties headed to the dumps. Urea made by refining processes of Natural Gas with the other product CO2. Uses gallons of water to sustain in solution inside Plastic saddle tanks with all plastic components or supporting materials due to the severity of corrosive affect of the crap. Sensors that cannot last, there or in the severe heat of the DOC systems. Specialized expensive catalyst beds mined at serious depletion of minerals, DPF units to be exchanged for renewed units cooked at over 2000 degrees to clear the contents using natural gas furnaces. The insane are running the asylum.

Who in their right mind would concoct such a friggen mess?

Old Doug

Any time me or anyone can pull something out of the trash and reuse it and never have a problem that thing should be reused for what it was made for. Like oil jugs quarts,gallons,2gallon jugs and a million other things.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Any time me or anyone can pull something out of the trash and reuse it and never have a problem that thing should be reused for what it was made for. Like oil jugs quarts,gallons,2gallon jugs and a million other things.
One of our local sled dealers used to have 2 stroke oil in a barrel and would refill your used jugs for a fair bit cheaper price than buying a new gallon jug of it.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Wish was that way for everyone but the truth is still there, truck loads of these head to the dumps weekly.
I reuse jugs mostly as catch basins for oil seals or catching dirt wanting to keep off surfaces. Do not have anyone selling bulk oils close by where have considered ordering my common used stock by 30gal barrel loads.

Biggest concerns is cross contaminates even after cleaned jugs. Plus the waste of cleaning them in soap solufions and rinses.

cfherrman

As I returned to trucks after retired had to laugh at the nonsense. DEF in plastic jugs, wrapped in Cardboard by the absolute Truckload as empties headed to the dumps. Urea made by refining processes of Natural Gas with the other product CO2. Uses gallons of water to sustain in solution inside Plastic saddle tanks with all plastic components or supporting materials due to the severity of corrosive affect of the crap. Sensors that cannot last, there or in the severe heat of the DOC systems. Specialized expensive catalyst beds mined at serious depletion of minerals, DPF units to be exchanged for renewed units cooked at over 2000 degrees to clear the contents using natural gas furnaces. The insane are running the asylum.

Who in their right mind would concoct such a friggen mess?

If only all these laws and rules were to actually reduce emissions.