• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pintle hitch height

Wes(MI)

I've got a 1979 Ford F700 & a 9 ton equipment trailer. I plan on hauling my D4-7U on this setup (dozer is about 8 ton). The trailer sitting level has the lunette eye at about 24" ground to center, unloaded. What height should the pintle be mounted at? I just don't want to drill a bunch of holes close to each other, because I messed up. Thanks.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
spring or air ride on the truck? Air ride will not really change height much. Does your trailer have adjustable hitch? Mine has 3-4 sets of holes to move it up and down.

Wes(MI)

Springs. Trailer does have adjustments, it's at the highest setting right now. I'm thinking the pintle should be mounted an inch or two higher than the lunette, but I want to make sure.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
I would maybe go a little higher. Is it a dump truck? Plan on hauling a load while towing the trailer? If you set it 3-4 inches higher with the trailer hitch in the middle of the adjustment than you can fine tune it up and down with out having to move pintle.

Wes(MI)

Dump truck, no intention of hauling a load while trailer & equipment loaded. Here's a pic of the truck & (unfinished) trailer.

Attachments

• 20170914_193000.jpg
    20170914_193000.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 50
  • 20170708_185733.jpg
    20170708_185733.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 51