• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pivot tires on a dump truck?

Dodge jr

Hey all, I have an old Ford f800 single axle dump that I use as an “off-road dump”. It a great truck but traction is an issue, especially during winter. I’ve looked at flotation tires but don’t really want to have to buy a new wheel setup too. Also looked at snow chains but don’t think that will get enough traction in the thick stuff.

Now I’m looking at pivot tires. I found some online for my 11r22.5. They are retreads but for $140 each I think it’s worth it. They look like a tractor paddle tire so I think it will get plenty of traction.

My main concern is they are 14 ply and made for an irrigation pivot. Will 4 of these hold up on the rear of a single axle dump truck? It never sees over 25 mph on the job site and I put it on a trailer to relocate. It also never hauls gravel or anything too heavy, just dirt.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

terex herder

I don't know which tires you are looking at. There are 11r22.5 truck tires that are retreaded with tractor style directional lugs, and others with bar lugs. I have no idea how long these tread casings will last at any kind of speed. Top speed on a pivot is about 1/8 mph, and maybe 3,000# loading per tire. They are known for going flat in the middle of the season.

You might call D & S tires in Nebraska and ask them. 1-402-372-5572

Old Doug

I used and have chains for every thing . Chains are millionnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn times more traction than any tire . We put chains over tractor tires to get more traction .

BC Placer gold

A good set of Trygg (or other good quality steel) triples with 8mm studs would work really well. I like to get them on good and tight-run a bit-then tighten again. We routinely chain up for mud/snow/ice off-road.

If you get them nice and tight on a “site” truck you can just leave them on with minimal fuss…

Bill Gunsch

A good set of Trygg (or other good quality steel) triples with 8mm studs would work really well. I like to get them on good and tight-run a bit-then tighten again. We routinely chain up for mud/snow/ice off-road.

If you get them nice and tight on a “site” truck you can just leave them on with minimal fuss…
The above is absolutely the best to keep going, coming from a 30yr.oilfield trucker. Leave the sprinkler tires alone.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Another vote for chains. My little logging truck has them on all four corners. That thing will climb trees and go anywhere you have the guts to drive it. They make some really aggressive setups if it never sees the road. Just be mindful it’ll be hard on a trailer deck and ramps. Might want some plywood for loading.

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
Hey all, I have an old Ford f800 single axle dump that I use as an “off-road dump”. It a great truck but traction is an issue, especially during winter. I’ve looked at flotation tires but don’t really want to have to buy a new wheel setup too. Also looked at snow chains but don’t think that will get enough traction in the thick stuff.

Now I’m looking at pivot tires. I found some online for my 11r22.5. They are retreads but for $140 each I think it’s worth it. They look like a tractor paddle tire so I think it will get plenty of traction.

My main concern is they are 14 ply and made for an irrigation pivot. Will 4 of these hold up on the rear of a single axle dump truck? It never sees over 25 mph on the job site and I put it on a trailer to relocate. It also never hauls gravel or anything too heavy, just dirt.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
There is a company called OTR Engineered Solution in Florida that can build you a wheel to suit the need for any tire you want to put on there. Could be an option if things get to the point you have to get a tractor tread style tire on the truck.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Given his location as Georgia, I expect mud is more of a concern than snow.
Ya never know these days. I should be up to my butt in snow right now, but it is 35 degrees, t shirt weather. Thought he might have taken our weather down there.