• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Placement of Gravel for Spreading

Alvin Tim

I have a 40' X 50' area that is open on three sides and will be spreading 4 piles of crushed concrete within that area hoping to get a 2 to 3 inch coverage within the area. What is the best placement of the piles to be spread with a dozer.:confused:

AustinPSD

What kind of dozer/blade?

I run D3 with a 6-way VPAT blade. If it were me, I'd pile the material nearest one of the open sizes within the area to be covered, then push it evenly over the area.

I'd pick the open side based on the access I have (clearance, level, etc.).

If a very smooth finish is necessary, I'd back-drag from the "closed" side in one direction to the opposite open side to remove the grouser marks and finish the pad.

This depends a little on what kind of access you have on the three open sides.

Alvin Tim

Thanks AustinPSD for the reply. I have a Komatsu D41P with a 6-way balde. Plenty of clearance on the 3 sides. Just didn't know if it would be better to put the piles on one side and push or 2 in the middle and 2 on one side.

AustinPSD

It is a little dependent on your skill level...

When I first started, I couldn't push smooth to save my life, so I ended up doing a lot of back-dragging gravel for pads and road bed.

I've gotten to the point where I can push smooth, with very little wind-rowing or "porpoising", and only back-drag if the requirement is to leave no grouser marks.

If you're pushing on hard surface where little compaction is going to occur, the dozer will tend to nose up a bit at the transition onto the pad area, then tip down once it passes the center of mass over the transition - this can create that wavy surface from "porpoising" of the blade if you're not real fast on keeping it level, or if your hydraulics are slow. If you start with the excess material or piles near the edge, this can be easier.

If the material is being dumped in, a good truck driver can do a pretty good initial spread for you, and save a lot of effort.

The material guy I work with in my area can spread a 40 x 50 pad pretty even, leaving me with just the compaction and finish to worry about.

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
How are the loads being dumped? 40x50 isn't that big but I would get the deliveries by triaxle and have the driver spread as he is dumping as much as possible. Keep it thicker then you want finished, then just work it into the corners and voids so its all even.

I repair a couple marinas parking lots this way every spring. They are 50'-60' wide and 200' long. We spread with a Compact Tracked Loader and then finish with a York Rake.