• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Planning path to dig footing w mini ex

marko13

So I have a pad close to leveled out for a 24 x 50 slab w 3' deep trench footing perimeter.
Not being an expert at excavator (or anything else lol) I'm trying to think how to efficiently dig the trench and deal with the spoils.
On two sides I can just pile the spoil to the side of trench, the other two I guess I'll dump into bobcat bucket and move where needed.

Renting the mini ex so want to be as efficient as possible, also don't want to cross already dug trench more than absolutely necessary.
Also not sure any trick/technique to cross trench w/o caving it in or knocking matl in that needs to then be cleared out again.

Also in one corner I can't straddle trench w tracks, have to sit to side and dig, what's the trick there?
I've heard of some kind of offset? boom?

also if the surface you have to straddle w tracks is sloped is there a way to dig a 'straight (plumb)' trench w machine at an angle?

Maybe I'm overthinking it but I don't know what I don't know so any tips appreciated.
Thanks,

Attachments

• 20231104_095719.jpg
    20231104_095719.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8

marko13

I can lose excess spoils to the south.
The north wall I will have to lose what I dig out.
The west wall I can stack to the west of trench for later backfill
The east I can lose some and move some
The southeast corner is my problem area
If I straddle trench w mini ex to dig one track will be sliding down hill lol
I don't have a wide platform past the edge of trench in that one spot

skyking1

you can use the boom swing and sit next to the trench.
zx85usb3swingboomexcavator_10080897.png

The trench will not look like your picture. It will taper out at the top on both sides.
Don't sweat it.
Dig while sitting on the pad to Keep It Simple. That way you don't have to deal with sitting cattywhompus on the slope next to the pad.
Leave a section out where the driving is easy in and out of the pad, drive out with the equipment (s), and dig that last little bit from the outside.
Use the blade to lift your machine up level for that last bit. It will require moving a couple of times to finish that little road out.

Plumber85

Skyking is right. Start at the most tight corner and work your way out from there. Worst case you can jump across a trench,if you keep the site clean there shouldn't be too much shovel work. I'm lazy let the digger work for you. Let us know how you go

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
My suggestion is to dig from the far back and work your way to the front exit main access. At the same time, don't just leave the excavated dirt all over. It's always way more than most people think. Most of the expense on the excavation part is hauling the dirt off and disposal. This gets even harder in the winter. If you do want to leave the fill on site, leave it within easy dump truck access, keep garbage out of it and heavy organic, and cover it to keep it dry. Ideally you want to set it up, so an excavator can get on top of the pile, and a dump truck can back right up to it. If you're going to do it with a dump trailer or something, dig half the area and dump near the access, then load and haul all that off. Then dig the next part and haul if off. I get people that call me all the time for dirt removal from a foundation dig, and they want to pay just a few thousand. Dump truck time is expensive but a major part of the project. They also have the dirt all over the place. This takes a lot longer to load the truck. Lastly, dig to a schedule for the foundation guys. As soon as you finish the excavation, you want them to set forms. If you dig and leave it in the rain, you have mud pit and disturbed soil the foundation is going to be on. Be sure to leave a couple of feet on each side of the foundation width to set your forms. Foundation guys love room to work. You usually don't need that much backfill. You do need room to store building materials, and equipment on site around the project. If you can back a dump truck or dump trailer right up to where you're digging, that is best.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
If understand what you have drawn it looks like a monolithic pour. It is easy to waste concrete on those. I would pull string line and spray paint the dig line. Make it as exact as possible, If you have rock which we do and why I hate these types of pours, I would much rather dig for footings and stem walls than a over a monolithic pour. The more rock you have the wider the trench gets, and the more concrete that it takes to fill the voids. Keep the dig line inside the foundation line. Meaning if your going to error, error to the inside, not the outside of your painted dig line.

We don't see those often here, except on storage units. Everyone one of them is monolithic. The last one was like 18 cy of concrete over. Which was over 3 buildings 100 feet long each and 30 feet wide. But in rocky ground thats what happens.