• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Plasma cutters

dabsfabs

Just wondering what plasma cutters people are running whem mobile or shop based, as needing to get one soon. To try and push workload through quicker.

How thick will Powermax 45 cutter or do i need something bigger. Any input welcome is what size. Hyperthrem seem to be the one every gose for, if i go for 3phase will have to get generator. To use it in my shop.

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
dabsfabs, I purchased my first personal plasma cutter this spring for some bucket repair projects thread "all in a days (or two) work pics", so how I decided what I needed was I wanted a miller spectrum 625 which I decided was the largest I should try to run in the field with my gas drive miller trailblazer 302. so then I walked into a welding supply shop and asked to buy one, this place rents all miller gas drives of all sizes, he said to me he recommended the hypertherm 45 absolutely no problems with them he said, I walked into his shop and looked at his rental fleet and sure enough all miller gas drives and hypertherm plasma cutters. good enough for me so that is what I bought and worked it hard for many hours at a time scarfing and cutting no problems. as far as performance 1/2" easy and clean, 5/8" decent most of the time slow and steady, 3/4" cut slow with only new consumables for maybe 4 feet or so then it would start to bevel cut a little on its own. I decided to only use machine for scarfing anything and cutting 1/2" and smaller and torch cut the rest (good balance for me)..............imho............theironoracle