• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Please help! How can I prevent a tractor from entering my property?

Chile

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum. Glad to be here.
Please help with some creative thinking!
I live on a farm in Chile. The lower part of my property is being invaded by some locals who want to squat on it & claim it as theirs. Last year, they were able to enter with a tractor & plant some bean plants & I was unable to evict them until after the plants were harvested. I'm pretty sure they will be back to tractor & plant again this year, since they are doing this to try to prove continuous occupancy of my property by tractoring & planting the lower end of it. And they are pretty much trying to harass me. Local authorities will not help. They just say it is a civil matter & you need a fence. Every time I put a fence, they take it down. And going to court would be pointless given the value of the land vs. cost of attorney.
Here's my question:
I have a 416B CAT backhoe & they have a 4WD tractor with lots of implements. I was thinking about trenching & putting a fairly high dirt berm along the property border. But I think they could just knock the dirt back into the trench with the tractor implement & come right in & start tractoring up my property. What can I put along my property border that will stop/prevent a tractor from entering???
:Banghead

Thanks if you have any creative ides, please share!!

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
dig the ditch and put the dirt on the opposite side they are entering from that way they can't just push it in to get across ditch the wider the better. Can you set up a hunting camera ,trail camera ,motion camera .Is sort of thing this common in your area.if they do get in and plant some thing just dig it up before it grows and say you was going to plant something on your property.

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
Dig the ditch like Clinton says. Several feet deep and wide so they can't reach across and pull the dirt back down. Pile the dirt as high as it can go too. And if they do get through go implant what they have as soon as you can.

pajibson

Claymore mines? that might involve some legal entanglements though. A few cleverly disguised holes in the ground to catch their legs or tractor tires? In all honesty I like most of the other suggestions. Put the fence back up with "no trespassing" signs. Dig the anti-vehicle ditch and remove the dirt so they cant fill it in. Put up trail cams to prove the trespassing and destruction of your property, the fence. Not sure what the chilean court system is like but then sue them for the property damage to your fence and "landscaping." Even if you dont win now you are becoming a pain in their neck instead of an easy target for their harrassment. I definitely like the idea of using an herbicide on their crops as well, but not sure if you want the fall out to your own vegetation. Certainly make sure the crops dont grow. after they've wasted their time and money for a season or two they'll go find some easier pickings.

overworked

Release some pigs onto the property, that should keep it from growing, or go and rent them the property, then they will patrol it for you.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
What sort of length of a property line are you talking about..?

As above. Use the backhoe to dig a deep ditch (3m if you can) and throw the dirt as far as you can on the other side of the backhoe (i.e. your property side). So you will end up with both a fcukoff deep ditch and a high berm with the width of a backhoe in between them.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Well there are all sorts of get even ideas, but overworked made the most sence, rent the property, even renting it to them. It proves that they acknowledge you as the owner, and prevents a game of one ups man ship, which will benefit neither of you.

bill onthehill

3/4 in. rebar cut at an angle buried in the road they come in on. Take out some tractor tires and they will lose interest quick. FMJ ammo works well also.....