• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pneumatic greaser leaving grease in the drum.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Good afternoon guys we use a pneumatic greaser on our equipment. Occasionally we can get it to pick up all the grease in the container. However most of the time it leaves about 4-6 inches in the bottom.
We've tried to push down on the "plunger", And make sure it's sitting square in the drum so it doesn't bind. Can't figure out why does it most of the time, but occasionally it will pull all the grease out. I'm getting tired of digging out that last little bit of grease and putting it in the next drum. Anyone got anymore tips?

Attachments

• 20231212_145600.jpg
    20231212_145600.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 8

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Hey DB.

Our 80 lb kegs do the same thing. Hoping someone has a solution.

Truck Shop

Does it have a follower plate, but even with those it doesn't push everything to the bottom.
All my old shops had pneumatics' in the shops and would have some left, find another drum
bucket cut the bag and squeeze it out slap the rest on fifthwheels.
mobile-heavy-duty-grease-pump-55-gallon-no-trolley-35.jpg

terex herder

Mine does the same thing. I just put the lid from the new barrel back on the old barrel and put it in the corner. When I have 2 or 3 mostly empty barrels and need more grease I squeeze the bags into the one on the greaser. Good job for a hot day. AI gloves (shoulder length plastic) are useful.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Mine does the same also. I pull the bag from the drum, gather it getting the grease into a mass at the bottom and cut a corner either squeezing the contents into a newer partial drum of compatible grease, or a metal five gallon pail to use on 5th wheels or assembly lube someplace else.

Seemingly cannot avoid wearing it so usually have a pair of gloves on too.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Is your follower plate not sealing at the suction pipe ?
I have one where there is a rubber ring to seal against the pipe.

terex herder

The hole in the follower plate on mine is 1/2 larger than the pipe. I guess I should look at sealing it. Doug, how stiffly does it slide?

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I've never thought about attempting to fix this and it reality thought "nature of the beast". Have always had a need for the tub of grease so never a problem. The follower plate is tight to the tube and rides all the way to the bottom of the bag. IIRC it is slight "bellmouth" in shape meaning the center around the tube is higher than the perimeter. The pickup tube is just off the floor of the barrel/bag. I still coat door hinges, rollers, and slide track mechanisms with the grease via an acid brush.

Tenwheeler

One easy thing to do--when grease gets down enough just stack four paver stones on follower
plate evenly spaced, works well. I waited for some reply's.
I will try that. Liked how things worked better before plastic bags were put in the drums. Now when I cannot get them to pump I put the pump in a new drum and install top from the new one on the old one. When that one does not pump get the bag out of the old one and squeeze in into the newer one. Then order one for the next replacement.
There are clamp on electric heaters for drums when it is cold.

IceHole

I will try that. Liked how things worked better before plastic bags were put in the drums. Now when I cannot get them to pump I put the pump in a new drum and install top from the new one on the old one. When that one does not pump get the bag out of the old one and squeeze in into the newer one. Then order one for the next replacement.
There are clamp on electric heaters for drums when it is cold.
Way easier to make trash cans with the bag though. Drum is usually clean.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
After I updated my follower plate to a newer, better sealing unit, this reduced the amount left in the bottom of the drum. It still did not pull all of it out but a better quality follower will make a huge difference in how much gets left behind. Minimize the cavitation, maximize the suction.

During the winter months, I keep my truck plugged in overnight which electrifies the drum heater blanket on the grease keg. That makes a huge difference in keeping that follower plate moving and getting grease through 30' of line and to my fittings on a frosty morning.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Thanks guys! I forgot all about until I seen the picture on my phone. We scoop the old grease out. I think trying Bricks or atleast cutting and squeezing it out the bottom of the bag sounds better.

I have bought a new one of these every year, so they are in "good" shape as far as the function and seals. They just randomly seem to pull all the grease out, so I wasn't sure if I was missing something. A keg last a crew about a week, so I hate having to make the guys clean out the old ones ever week.