• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Polycarbonate Door

Danny L. Thomas

Thought about that. I have a buffer attachment on my cordless drill that I tried today. May look for a dedicated automotive polisher.

hosspuller

This bears repeating...From my post on page 1 of this thread. If you grind / polish off the yellow and the UV coating on polycarbonate, you must re-protect the poly or it will rapidly yellow again. I can vouch for the longevity of Meguiar's Keep Clear Headlight Coating

Danny L. Thomas

Well, fudge. I got busy and let this door thing go for several months. Now I need to use my loader quite a bit and I just don't think that I'm going to waste any more time or money on polishing. I've tried several polishes and methods and can't tell much of a difference. I'm going to just bite the bullet and order one from Racing Shields. Thanks for the input guys.

Danny L. Thomas

Yes, I found that one and really considered it. However, it is .250" thick and the old one on my machine is .375". I just didn't want to go down in thickness and this .375" one from Racing Shields was just about $37.00 higher than Safe Harbor's .250" version.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have a .5" door from Racing Shield. Works well, had it on for a year and it hasn't scratched at all yet. They had a booth at ConExpo that was pretty convincing and their pricing is reasonable.

TorontoGuy

I got a 2019 259D with an open cab.. Does anyone know if I can buy the glass mounting parts (latch etc) from either Cat or aftermarket company so I can put a Racing Shield Glass on.. I just contacted Racing Shield and they say they only provide glass and no accessories..

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I am guessing you would have to buy the door frame and components from CAT. When I put the Racing Shield Lexan on my machine, I had to buy longer bolts on the door latch to work with the thicker material. I am not familiar with how the CAT door latches work, but if CAT offers a separate door for their Lexan/demo door, that is likely what you would want and just use the Racing shield lexan. I would hate to see that that door will cost from Cat. If might be able to find a door from a salvage company, but imagine those are first things that go on those machines.

Last edited:

TorontoGuy

I am guessing you would have to buy the door frame and components from CAT. When I put the Racing Shield Lexan on my machine, I had to buy longer bolts on the door latch to work with the thicker material. I am not familiar with how the CAT door latches work, but if CAT offers a separate door for their Lexan/demo door, that is likely what you would want and just use the Racing shield lexan. I would hate to see that that door will cost from Cat.
There is already a company in Canada who already does this complete but they are charging an arm a leg and a wing.. https://skidsteerdoors.com/
I don't feel comfortable paying $1700.. I would be really happy buying a door for $700 and maybe get the frame and accessories for maybe $300-400.. Also I am ok with a 1/4 or 3/8 glass which is in the $500 range

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I bought one of their doors for a 465 Case. The door sucked.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I it was all the gear necessary to mount it. A rental company also bought several for their machines and they were not happy either. Seemed like a good idea, even at 1700 its cheaper than OEM, just doesn't work as well.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
You are not going to be able to own a Cat machine and think you are going to decide what you want to pay for parts. There is very little aftermarket support, and Cat isn't going to negotiate on prices. The full door assembly with glass from Cat is about $2,000. The glass is only about $400 of that.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I don't feel comfortable paying $1700..
If you think that’s expensive wait until you see the price of the Cat door parts even minus the "glass"…!!

There are three different retrofit "Cab Door & Mounting" Kits with Lexan windshield available but they are very Serial Number dependent. To know which one is applicable to your particular machine would require the Serial Number. "2019 259D" won't work. Even though it will include the glass pre-installed in the door the applicable kit might be a cost-effective option over buying a long list of individual parts from somewhere and the Lexan from somewhere else.

I wouldn’t imagine any aftermarket company will offer the door or the hardware for it.

TorontoGuy

If you think that’s expensive wait until you see the price of the Cat door parts even minus the "glass"…!!

There are three different retrofit "Cab Door & Mounting" Kits with Lexan windshield available but they are very Serial Number dependent. To know which one is applicable to your particular machine would require the Serial Number. "2019 259D" won't work. Even though it will include the glass pre-installed in the door the applicable kit might be a cost-effective option over buying a long list of individual parts from somewhere and the Lexan from somewhere else.

I wouldn’t imagine any aftermarket company will offer the door or the hardware for it.
CAT0259DAFTL23636

TorontoGuy

You are not going to be able to own a Cat machine and think you are going to decide what you want to pay for parts. There is very little aftermarket support, and Cat isn't going to negotiate on prices. The full door assembly with glass from Cat is about $2,000. The glass is only about $400 of that.
Rather pay $2000 then $1700 for aftermarket

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
CAT0259DAFTL23636
In that case the appropriate kit is apparently Part Number 514-9112. Confirm that with your local Cat dealer. Attached the inslallation instructions which could come in useful even if you choose a different purchase option, because there is a lot more to the job than simply installing a door.

Attachments

• M0073716-01.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 2