• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pondering about truckers, coffee and trucks . . .

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Did drivers start drinking coffee in 1997?

Why is it that nothing built before the late Nineties has anything resembling cupholders? I mean, I know all the methods; wedge the cup in the windshield, stick it between the body controls, set it on the floor, but all those years nobody in Detroit thought of inventing a cupholder?

Shimmy1

Did drivers start drinking coffee in 1997?

Why is it that nothing built before the late Nineties has anything resembling cupholders? I mean, I know all the methods; wedge the cup in the windshield, stick it between the body controls, set it on the floor, but all those years nobody in Detroit thought of inventing a cupholder?
Well, maybe a couple years sooner. My 1995 Ford has Captain's chairs with cupholders in the center console.

Acoals

Occupation
Well, maybe a couple years sooner. My 1995 Ford has Captain's chairs with cupholders in the center console.

I had a '95 F150 for a long time; it had a bench seat with a little cupholder like thing in the middle down on the floor by the shifter. It was an attempt at a cup holder anyway. Before everybody went all eco and switched to paper cups the styrofoam ones worked just as well wedged in the windshield as that silly little cupholder.

Old Doug

I did alot of stuff i shouldnt have i wouldnt eat or drink anything unless i was about a hour from stopping.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Old Fred Eaglesmith would drive with his knees, when the coast was clear, mixing up his coffee recipe on the road.

Keith Merrell

My 1986 Freightliner FLC didn't have a cupholder. But a friend gave me a standalone cup holder that you put on the floor of the cab that held two cups, and had a pocket in the middle for small parts and change and the like.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I have a theory, or a hypothesis about commercial vehicle coffee cup holders and the rise of roadside trucker bombs.

I hypothesize that the number of roadside trucker bombs per mile, increased drastically after the standardization of OEM supplied cup holders. Amiright ? 91E5F832-0825-4F75-BB61-A3A3ED4C0442.jpeg

aighead

I think the road beers my dad used to drink would go between the seat and the e-brake.

I think for my 1977 Skylark I had one of those bean bag things with an ashtray attached, but I don't recall if there was a drink holder in it. I know I had the plastic kind you could hook into your window...

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Drive a BMW, they didn't get cup holders worth a dam until 2006 or so

I'm still pissed BMW puts cup holders in the M Series. Bought a brand new 2001 M3 and thought the world was in fact going to hell because it had cup holders.

Beginning of the end I tell ya'!:mad::p

They never were used in that car as long as I owned it as there were 3 things not allowed - drinking, eating or farting. Other things with proper discretion.

Truck Shop

If you drink that much coffee-you probably won't pass a DOT psychical, I know of a few
there heart was wound out. If you drink that much your constantly dehydrated, orange
pi$$. The other your looking for a rest area/not driving. At the price of good coffee can't
afford much of that. Coffee in a truck cab just makes a mess. Drink some water your
body will thankyou and more money in your pocket. Rot Gut.

Acoals

Occupation
16oz of coffee is kind of required at 3:30am . . . 64oz will give me the jitters and shakes and probably worse.