• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Portable Crusher?

Wrench_one

Occupation
Mining Equipment Mechanic
We have 2 terex/ findlay 683 supertracks and they have proven to be great for our application. We use them to screen out rock and size coal that is too poor of quality to run
through our wash plant. Brent if you make it over to eastern ohio get with Jim Harris in Cadiz and he can bring you out and see them in action if you like.

NL1CAT

Occupation
Operator
I too have run a terex/pegson recycle jawcrusher crushing slag with a terex/powerscreen screener behind it.
The crusher didn't have the auto feeder program in the plc ( the later-ones did I believe) so I really needed a crusher operator too for keeping the jaw full.
Problems i had when the jaw opened up for some unbreakable chunk and it was big . it wouldn't fit between the discharge conveyor and the hydro tank.
I also found out that for slag (which is pretty heavy) if the jaw opened up with the jaw full the discharge conveyor lacked power and would not pull it out.
We went to a demo for a terex/finlay screener with a steel feeder conveyor and found the unit quite impressive .
It had steel rollers (the powerscreen has plastic) and seemed pretty rugged build.
What I dislike on the screeners is the lack of conveyor slip guarding.. I mean just put in a little plc and secure the operation.

justridinby

Occupation
Earthmoving contractor
Has anyone had any experience with the Rockster range of crushers , from their website they look like a great single operation with double fines screening and return belt for oversize , but it would be great to hear from someone who,s worked with one

Flash2004

Occupation
Boss
Has anyone had any experience with the Rockster range of crushers , from their website they look like a great single operation with double fines screening and return belt for oversize , but it would be great to hear from someone who,s worked with one

I had some contact with Herr Norbert Feichtinger at a European Expo a couple of years ago and I think he was a senior engineer with the Rockster company. Certainly he was an impressive guy with a huge knowledge of the challenges operators routinely faced. I watched the demos, asked him questions and I noticed he answered all of them accurately and from a knowledgeable background rather than the product brochure. He knew his stuff, which is very unusual among guys out there to meet people and sell machines. The machines struck me as being very professionally built with a long term ownership expectation. There are other very good crushers of course, but Rockster is right up there. I would own one. cheers, Gordon

justridinby

Occupation
Earthmoving contractor
I'll definately agree with you on the build of the machines very impressive and well thought out , I guess it all comes down to the final application of the crusher and if it's suitable for the task . I,m researching as much as possible the best machine to process building rubble and reinforced concrete , most guys that i talk to swear by a jaw crusher because of it's capabilities of handling a reasonable amount of reinforcing mesh through the machine but but the downside is the requirement of secondry crushing and screening especially if you require 1" minus final product .The Impact crusher namely the Rockster claims that it can crush and screen down to 1" minus in one pass , but i believe the pre preparation,removing most if not all the reinforcing
would slow the whole process greatly . Then last but not least is having a portable self contained crusher in a reasonable weight range that won't require a freight train to cart it about .I'm going to quit on that note ( giving myself a headache thinking through all this stuff )Cheers Shayne

Flash2004

Occupation
Boss
I'll definately agree with you on the build of the machines very impressive and well thought out , I guess it all comes down to the final application of the crusher and if it's suitable for the task . I,m researching as much as possible the best machine to process building rubble and reinforced concrete , most guys that i talk to swear by a jaw crusher because of it's capabilities of handling a reasonable amount of reinforcing mesh through the machine but but the downside is the requirement of secondry crushing and screening especially if you require 1" minus final product .The Impact crusher namely the Rockster claims that it can crush and screen down to 1" minus in one pass , but i believe the pre preparation,removing most if not all the reinforcing
would slow the whole process greatly . Then last but not least is having a portable self contained crusher in a reasonable weight range that won't require a freight train to cart it about .I'm going to quit on that note ( giving myself a headache thinking through all this stuff )Cheers Shayne

Almost all demo recyclers lose most of their profitability in the pretreatment process. Usually I find by the time they have the feedstock down to a size and shape suitable for crushing, its small enough already and hardly needs crushing! The key to making money from this must be in the least pretreatment possible, which all but rules out a jaw. The need for the concrete to turn almost 90 degrees to fall into a jaw from the feeder is a problem that is redoubled when the rebar has to also turn on the way out without ripping the belt.

I used to run two Nordberg City Crushers, model C10/07 Horizontal shaft impactors. They were able to accept comparatively long lengths of rebar with no issues. The feedstock needed minimal preparation and as long as the slabs were less than 700mm (28") wide they could be up to 40-50" long with rebar or mesh inside. These models discharged onto a steel vibrating feeder which caught and turned the steel before it reached the discharge conveyor. Wear was an issue, we could use special hammers we had made which would do 50,000 tonnes but had to be careful of any "hard" tramp iron getting in there or we thought the hammers would break. We never broke any so maybe it wasn't a problem.

Initially we used the Metso stock hammers and they were doing about 10,000 tonnes. Dust was our biggest problem, of course we could spray but that causes problems of its own.

My first choice for demo though would be one of the Japanese roll crushers. We've had three of these, two kobelco KMC300R and one Hitachi HR1000 and they are very hard to beat for every reason. No dust, quiet, fuel efficient, endless production, huge feed slabs accepted up to 2m (80") square can be eaten without pretreatment whether full of mesh or rebar. The smaller HR1000 (20 tonnes) can deal with a 2.1m (7') long piece of mangled rebar no problem whatsoever and the Kobelcos even longer. There is a 48" drop from the crusher outlet to the top of the conveyor belt is the reason. The Kobelcos roll along at an easy 90-100tph and the Hitachis 60-70tph at 1 1/2" product size. Feed that through a screener set in closed circuit at 1" and you'd have exaclty what you wanted and not too many "fines"

I have one of the kobelcos available in Western Australia right now as a matter of fact. Gordon

joncro55

Mesh or Rebar

Which is better to use on the interior here? Also, What size wire mesh would you actually use inside ( http://www.bwire.com/resources.html use this measuring model if you don't know wire mesh). Is this really fine mesh that is being used or is it something a little more open like 3 x 3 or 4 x 4 wire cloth material?

Thanks for the info guys.

jason975

Occupation
heavy equipment/ truck mechanic
McClosky is the best, metso a close second, and anything is better than terex powerscrap, bad expiriences with 2 1800's a 2100 and their sad excuse for a cone

PowerscreenFLA

... I can personally say the Terex-Pegson provides excellent crushers too, since we've had them on one of our jobs for a month or two and there was little, if any, downtime and it just kept making big rock into little rock no matter what we found.

Appreciate that.

jason975

Occupation
heavy equipment/ truck mechanic
sorry man, nothing personal, just we sent back the cone at 2200h, and the screening plants like to throw counterweights around (they have a revised model w/o the offset), we had to re-engineer the hopper flashings, the list goes on, we run 24/7 and they cant take the abuse in the north (-40c) McCloskeys are built better, and you can manually operate just about everything

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
does anyone have experience with the hartl model 503pcv? this is a track mobile impact crusher. who is the u.s. dealer on the west coast? known problems? who builds the impactor unit? anything at all. transport weight?..........................theironoracle

Flash2004

Occupation
Boss
I don't know the US dealer or the origin of this exact crusher element, buit I do know they've been made in China for years now, but also made under licence in many other countries because its a good unit within limitations. I find resellers are less than forthcoming with the real news on these older designs. Mostly they are for secondary or tertiary use only with light materials but suppliers will emphasis the feed opening with the implication that if the feed aperture is 36" square you can drop a boulder that big in there. So end users do and sometimes the results are catastrophic. I'd say if you had an original Hartl and used it as the manufacturer and designer recommended, you'd have a very good crusher. On the other hand, and this applies to nearly all manufacturers these days, if its made under licence (or copied) in a developing country, where the factory manager will switch to a cheaper steel, bearings etc. the moment the supervisor is not looking, that is another matter altogether. A large static Hartl impactor installed new here in New Zealand and fed on "as dug" limestone has exploded so many times it has been removed. If you like. tell me what you want to process and I'll suggest an impactor for the job, if its an impactor job. cheers,

theironoracle

Occupation
flash2004, i am not an end user, just looking at one for sale that needs some repair that then i would resell or rent out, typical rock around here is 12" minus basalt, how about the komatsu br-300?.......theironoracle

Flash2004

Occupation
Boss
I'd be reluctant to use an impact crusher on basalt as the wear factor would probably be way too high. Basalt goes through a jaw well and crushes nicely to a good shape usually. A Komatsu BR300 is an older jaw crusher which, in its day, was a very reliable unit, if quite low production. Its like the tortoise in the tortoise and the hare story. So it would be a 1994/5 model probably and might have a lot of old perished hydraulic hoses which might be a reliability issue. Komatsu use their own fittings so replacement of hoses is not a simple and cheap matter. If your rock is 12" and the BR300 looks generally OK to you then it would be a reasonable risk to buy and sell, but parts might be your problem. They're available in Japan readily enough, but expensive and there's limited used parts available. Usually you don't need them, but that's the risk, everything wears out sooner or later. There was a later BR350 unit in the Pacific Islands and its hydraulic crusher drive motor failed. That was a frightening exercise for the owners, thousands of miles from anywhere and no ability to see if this or that might fit, limited detailed technical expertise outside of Japan for advice too. I think they found a spare motor from a burned out unit in Australia finally, and finished the job. cheers

theironoracle

Occupation
thanks flash2004, been around a couple late model pegson plants, jaws and impactors. the impactor worked great making 2" minus from this 12" minus i refer to about a set of bars and liners per 10000 tons. when used close curcuit to make 3/4" minus it burnt up $25,000 in wear iron in about 10,000 tons "not good" the salesman said it could do it so he got to buy the wear iron (we provide labor)!!!! the pegsons in our area are by far the most popular, but i am sure the dealers would not be nice to others renting there type of equipment so i am looking for other good brands with generic or otherwise decent parts availability (not interested in frightening excerises)....thanks for any info.............theironoracle