• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Powered grease guns

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Hey everyone. I have a quick question. Is it worth spending $250 for a rechargeable 12 volt Lincoln grease gun? I've been thinking about buying one now that we're getting the excavator, that's alot of grease points between that machine and the skid steer. Any thoughts? Thanks.

woberlin

Occupation
excavating contractor/bodyshop owner
One of the best tools that I've ever bought. Works great! Check on E-bay, you can get a new one for alot less than $250. But before you get one, grease your excavator with an old fashioned hand pump one a couple of times-just so can appreciate it.

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
I find the battery is always dead when I need it.

Make it a policy to grease whenever the machine is at home, even if it is on the trailer. I have an air gun for this.

I keep a regular hand pump model in the trailer box for on site greasing. You don't need to do the whole machine, just the parts that got into dirt, mud or water. Down by the bucket will need grease but not the top joint and such.

DKinWA

Charter Member
Occupation
Biologist and Contractor
I've got a 12 volt lincoln (given to me) and it's a great time saver for me. I keep a battery in the charger and one in the pump and don't have a problem running out of battery power. I use it when greasing at home, but in the field I use a hand pump lincoln. Cat recommends bucket linkages, stick and boom get grease every 8-10 hours of use. I'd also recommend cleaning up excess grease once in awhile since it does tend to attract dust and dirt. I'd say I use around half a tube when I grease, so it takes a little while to make sure I get everything.

coopers

Our grease gun at work is powered by a LARGE air compressor. It's sweet. We can grease machines all day and get them done in a jip. It's so nice. My last job the guy purchased a battery powered grease gun and it didn't seem to have a lot of punch to it but maybe he just didn't charge the thing all the way. I don't know. But the air powered guns are nice.

Blake
WA

CascadeScaper

Occupation
I think my dad says we have a pneumatic one that runs off the compressor in the shop. Problem is, our machines are never at home, they're always out on a site somewhere. I can get a 12V Lincoln with one battery for $190, but they offer the same gun with a second battery for another $60 which is a good way to go since buying the extra battery as an accessory costs $80. DK, I read in the 304CR's brochure and it said that lube points such as the upper linkage (stick, boom, etc.) need not be greased for 500 hrs. :dizzy That doesn't sound right, maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I'm going to do whatever my dealer tells me to do for maintenance. I'm a bit of a maintenance freak actually. I take care of all the work on the skid steer that way everything is done by me and there aren't any second guesses about who did what. I even keep track of what I do according to meter hours on the machine and record them on an Excel spreadsheet on my laptop for later review.

DKinWA

Charter Member
Occupation
Biologist and Contractor
I just looked at the maintenance book and it says bucket linkage, quick coupler, boom and stick every 8 hours for the first 100. After that, everyday if you're working in "severe" conditions. Less severe conditions require less greasing. Most of the time I'd say I'm working in severe conditions, so I grease every day or 8-10 hours. The last thing I want is a bunch of pin wear that makes it difficult to control.

will_gurt

Charter Member
Occupation
operator in extended holding pattern
One can obtain a 12V Lincoln grease gun on ebay for around $160 USD. Get it you will not regret this gun. As stated,in a topic on this board, the battery will last for up to three tubes of grease in the warmer weather. An extra battery ,on ebay, goes for around $49 USD. I lube the nine or more pieces of equipment everyday. I was tired of trying to hold the tip on the fittings and pump the gun too.

xkvator

just my .02
i am a grease freak...will grease buckets, dipper, house swing more than once a day.
i use a Lincoln manual pistol grip gun with EP MOLY on my bobcat 751 & 331...if i had to grease 5+ machines i might consider the 12v. you need 3 hands sometimes if you use a lever type gun.
my 580K has a bit too many fittings for a manual gun, though
i don't leave machines on a job too often because of theft/vandalism so i grease with an air powered pump/16 gal. drum at home. :drinkup

salesrep

Occupation
Sales Rep
Spring Special

Recently made a special purchase of Lincoln’s 12 Volt PowerLuber Battery Operated Grease Guns. Guns are model 1244 and include two batteries, 110v charger and case. These guns are time savers and are
available while supplies last!

Qty Price (each)
1-2 $210.00
3 + $190.00

Reserve yours today!

Last edited:

badranman

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner Cutting Edge Construction Limited
Another vote for the 12v grease gun. I bought the two battery pack and never have a problem with dead batteries. It's a real time saver.

will_gurt

Charter Member
Occupation
operator in extended holding pattern
I added the second battery to my grease gun. One other option that I have is the 12 volt car charger. The 12 volt charger is nice for when I am not near electricity.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
Salesrep, are you selling those guns for that price or did you find them somewhere on the net, etc.? $210 with 2 batteries is very appealing.

salesrep

Occupation
Sales Rep
Yes I am selling them at these prices.
Please contact me if interested.
Qty Price (each)
1-2 $210.00
3 + $190.00

glsahl

Charter Member
Occupation
equip.mngr/mechanic
I've never used an electric gun,so can't give an opinion.Keep a Lincoln air gun on my truck,and have no complaints.Adjust trencher booms,excavator tracks,and it's never let me down.
The important thing is to have "A" grease gun.If you've never had to line bore a loader frame,or excavator stick,you have no idea just how important grease,of any brand,or grade,can be.A consistant grease schedule can make or break any machine.A serviceman who knows enough to clear debris from a zerk,before greasing,can be worth his weight in gold.
Overgreasing is better than the alternative,trust me.Blown grease seals only present a problem when grease isn't applied daily.Loader frames,excavator bucket linkages,and trencher pivot rings,need daily attention,and they get it,either from the lube man,or the mechanic,just depends on who the "BOSS" thinks is less expensive.

salesrep

Occupation
Sales Rep
"If you've never had to line bore a loader frame,or excavator stick,you have no idea just how important grease,of any brand,or grade,can be.A consistant grease schedule can make or break any machine."

I would certainly agree with the exception of the quality of grease being extremely advantageous. A quality grease will last longer betwen intervals, resist washout, repel dust/dirt, and hold up against shock loading. Saving a lot of money.

I sure wich I could get a few of you to try some of our grease. You'd never go back.
http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/221.pdf
http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/229.pdf
http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/238.pdf

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
I disagree, our guys are instructed to use just the right amount and they must wipe it all down and get the excess off. These machines cost way to much to let grease run all over them and oil etc. We find with power guns, unless the guy knows what he is doing ,overgreasing occurs way too much. The power greasers in our company belong to foreman and the crusher operator.

glsahl

Charter Member
Occupation
equip.mngr/mechanic
2004F550 said:
I disagree, our guys are instructed to use just the right amount and they must wipe it all down and get the excess off. These machines cost way to much to let grease run all over them and oil etc. We find with power guns, unless the guy knows what he is doing ,overgreasing occurs way too much. The power greasers in our company belong to foreman and the crusher operator.
How do you measure "the right amount"?
How much grease is "right" for a loader that accures 7.5hrs per day?Is 4.75lbs of EP1 grease sufficent for a Cat EL300 on a 40 manhour per week basis?
Look foreward to your response.

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
I agree with GS, it is not like a tie rod boot in a car that will blow out and leak it is a machined area for the grease to sit in. I also like clean machines, but they must work for a living. Grease is going to run out in operation as well. Whether air, batery or pump, all you need is to force the old out and have clean grease in. Can't really overdue it, the grease will just come out.

Finally there may be better brands than others, I won't comment on that, but the point that any grease is better then none is just that, not to say all greases are the same. I could use cooking lard, to some effect to limit wear over nothing at all.