• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Problem with Fuel Shut-off on 2001 era Case 1845C

Jbullfrog

The last year I've been poping the Safety Interlock fuse randomly. Sometimes it's ok for days and sometimes it will pop 3 in a few minutes. I've checked all the harness and have found no chaffing or damage. I've checked the arm bar switch, seat switch, and solenoid. We finished harvest, so I backed it in the shop and know it runs with the seat out and arm bar down! Any ideas on what to try next? I am going thru the checks in the service manual and ran it with an amp clamp and volt meter on it, but it refuses to act up while you are looking at it. Nothing really stands out specifically when it pops the fuse, I've had it go with the loader up, down, driving down the road, sitting still restarting, etc.

It's a 2001 California Emisions with rotary pump, timing heater, and hot fuel injector.

thrashingcows

Not sure if this will be relevant on your machine, but perhaps the fuel shut down solenoid (FSS) has a band short in it? It takes a 12V signal to open the FSS and if the internals have worn or shorted to the body it could be causing a dead short?

Jbullfrog

I've been playing with this as I have time. Tonight I have 12.3 volts on 3 of the solenoid terminals when running with seat bypassed and arm bar down. If I disconnect the seat bypass I still have 12.3 on two and 10.8 on the third. Where is the voltage coming from?

thrashingcows

Do you have a factory service manual? Probably the best way to try and diagnose the wiring problem....factory wiring diagrams and then back tracing the systems.

I just ordered one for my 89 1845C off E-bay, on CD with searchable PDF files for under $20 shipped to my door. I prefer the paper versions myself, but when the cheapest I can find is $100 USD plus shipping....which makes it well over $150 cdn I have to settle. ;)

Jbullfrog

Finally fixed it! I went through all the harness and checked all the switches and plugs. As usual, it worked, until I went to reinstall the seatbar switch under the deck. With it installed, the fuse popped when I pulled it down. I took the switch loose again and noticed a glint from the shrink wrap on one terminal end. I found my short! A dab of liquid tape and wrap of tape later and it's back to earning money.

thrashingcows

Finally fixed it! I went through all the harness and checked all the switches and plugs. As usual, it worked, until I went to reinstall the seatbar switch under the deck. With it installed, the fuse popped when I pulled it down. I took the switch loose again and noticed a glint from the shrink wrap on one terminal end. I found my short! A dab of liquid tape and wrap of tape later and it's back to earning money.

Wow that was a lot of work and time to find the culprit, thanks for the update! Congrats on finding it and getting it back to work.