• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Problem with TD15C Transmission

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
As John C said suction leaks can be a real pain. Get a couple cans of shaving cream. Smear the shaving cream around the joints on the suction side of the pump and start the machine. If it sucks the shaving cream in then you might have found your problem. If not you are only out a few dollars.

duramax2004

As John C said suction leaks can be a real pain. Get a couple cans of shaving cream. Smear the shaving cream around the joints on the suction side of the pump and start the machine. If it sucks the shaving cream in then you might have found your problem. If not you are only out a few dollars.
Great thinking! I put shaving cream on all the visible connections I could get too. Mine has the filters underneath the floor panel. I couldn't see anything being sucked in from what was visible. There is a big hose that comes off the suction side and I will probably have to take a belly pan off to follow it back.....can't really see where it goes too. It's a very large older hose.....could be an issue? I can't give up on her yet.....she's been a good one! Where are you located Bam? I'm in North Alabama....small town named Arab....just south of Huntsville.

lantraxco

In gear, stopped, pressure gauge in the green, pull both steering clutches. Driveshaft should spin as the transmission output is now essentially freewheeling. If driveshaft spins, release either steering clutch. Driveshaft stops again? Problem is ahead of the driveshaft. YMMV

Vetech63

If you have the Rockford torque converter the pump is on the torque housing. Suction leaks are famous on those machines so check every mount and connection.

Steve136

I’m thinking about going to a 40 wt hydraulic oil to see if this helps stop the converter from stalling? I’m using 20 wt now. Steve

tctractors

If I recall the TD15C has no steering clutch packs but brake pads that put a gear group to act, I have rebuilt these transmissions and they are some work to tackle, 1 transmission I did had the filters under the floor plates, the other had the filters etc in the side near the shift lever, I can recall that there was 100 in total plates in the packs that I had supplied to me from a company in the U.K. that were shipped in from Germany, the clutch pack seals that seemed larger than the drum I also had Lathe cut for me in Germany, the cost was around a 1/4 of the cost from the U.S. to get the transmission out involved removing all the hydraulic set up for the blade, the transmission is bolted in with only a few bolts but they are pigs to get at some of them, there is a multi control valve block bolted to the top of it that has all the pipes going to the hand control, the transmission itself has a simple 2 speed mechanical section and I think its built by Rockford? I might have posted pictures of the job in Shop Talk, look for my name on removing sprockets.