• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

?Project?, for Someone else!!

colson04

And again Why? DDEC could tweak 600hp from a OEM 8v92, Really doubt that Duramax system delivers enough especially trying to get that Timed from a 4 stroke to a 2. Will not argue semantics or advances, does not justify the end result.
Why? Because they could. The shop that is doing it is in Missouri. They're building a high hp (greater than 1000hp) engine for competition use to be unique. Not many high HP Detroit engines running in competition pulling and these guys just wanted to do something different.

Its like why did a guy p-pump a 7.3L Ford block for sled pulling? Because he could. It took a massive amount of engineering and fabrication to build something that didn't need to exist, but he was a Ford die hard. He hated the fact that a stock 7.3L system can only go so far when the Duramax and Cummins common rail systems easily exceed 1000hp+.

The common rail system is exceptionally adaptable. For the 8v92 project, it required 3 CP3 pumps to get enough fuel flow at pressure, and 2 standalone ECMs to fire the injectors twice as often. They've already got videos on YouTube of it running. Just a test stand engine doing a proof of concept run, but it exists.

They aren't making a daily over the road engine. This is a unique, one off competition/ show engine. Lots of them have been built over the years, not out of necessity, but desire to have something different.

Truck Shop

I for one completely understand that notion. I've built four over the years, and one that
was totally impractical. The Mack was as practical as wishing for a heart attack. But on the
idea of being different-yes. In the end does it do anything for the person who builds
something custom? Yes, they learn. Does it do anything for the average person? No, the
majority really don't care and will forget it soon.

Which goes back to damn near anything can be built with enough time and money. Does the
end justify the idea or need to build it? In many cases no, because if it were practical the
original manufacture would have carried on and developed it, what ever that {it} is.

As long as the individual doing it learns something and is happy with that great. But in the
end it's kind of like building a better pencil sharpener--not much good because very few
use a pencil anymore.
They aren't making a daily over the road engine. This is a unique, one off competition/ show engine. Lots of them have been built over the years, not out of necessity, but desire to have something different.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
As noted money and time, likely short duration lifespan if used to maximum value so still as obsolescent as ever and fewer parts for anyone else when grenades, that was NOT If but when.

Worked with guys that built stroker DTs for IH pullers. O-ringed blocks to heads, DD style fire ring liner seals so No real head gasket. If lasted more than three pulls was a good deal!!

Fun game to play, grand waste of time and money.

skyking1

As noted money and time, likely short duration lifespan if used to maximum value so still as obsolescent as ever and fewer parts for anyone else when grenades, that was NOT If but when.

Worked with guys that built stroker DTs for IH pullers. O-ringed blocks to heads, DD style fire ring liner seals so No real head gasket. If lasted more than three pulls was a good deal!!

Fun game to play, grand waste of time and money.
They often die when the block gives way and the whole shebang lifts off. It is a good show!

Truck Shop

For a real project---The man or group that works on or builds the first simple working
design of a emission system that is reliable is a far better goal. It will require some
extreme ability understanding science and engineering. I'm sure It can be done and
a benefit to anyone who owns or repairs.

Endeavors like that are remembered.

crane operator

Feeling nostalgic now…
looks like a 3406b with jakes. Never been in a pete cabover. But, I've never been in a cabover that I fit in real well. There's never enough room for my feet, and I about fall on my butt getting in and out.

I cannot understand the current fascination and popularity of them, guys restoring and making show trucks of them, and some guys making them into daily drivers.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Swung out to step down off a 8664, hand missed grab handle, went in UNDER it, where I lost footing, found myself standing with my arm hung up and facing the WRONG way. Old fella at the shop untangled it, made four words sound OK, "This may hurt some", then snapped my shoulder BACK where it was supposed to be. And YES, I admit, I Peed myself it hurt SO Intensely. Left Arm is STILL rough getting over my head and has some contact issues.
NO Cabover ever fit well for 6'2", I can validate it.

Last edited:

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I was not particularly pleased myself climbing up there for the first time in my life in a civilian COE for taking those interior pictures. I'm 6', I thought I missed a step or something getting down or someone uninstalled the steps .
Nope no room in there, that's like circus midget type fun there.
Here is my idea of a COE I would own before one of those
83731c288d99f2b764fa094cf1dd6d7a.jpg

Truck Shop

I cannot understand the current fascination and popularity of them, guys restoring and making show trucks of them, and some guys making them into daily drivers.
It has to do with the {Me Too} pattern. As I said before it's a fad that will fade as fast as it
came back around. No one really liked them years ago for many different reasons.
It's part of this retro old school thought, except no one asked a old school driver what he
thought of them during his time. Most cabovers are fatigued, about the second time around
repairing a cracked out cab usually is when the light comes on, sometimes not.

There are only so many ways to dress up a box, in the end it's still a box.

Truck Shop

Here is a classic example. 1972 K125 108" sleeper, NTA370-that's a small cam, married 4x4
gear boxes, with SQHD's 4.44 ratio on torsion bar suspension. That truck originally sold in
the area of $31 to 34,000. Asking price $78,500.

The NTA370 was not a great starter in cold weather, those married boxes are tough to get
parts for, SQHD's were what they had at the time but not great, The torsion bar well that's
another story.

It's a nice period correct KW, but because it has zero updates it's worth less than $20,000
even as a collector piece, doesn't matter what the paint cost, it's only paint.341298596_758703509064851_1054225871222404646_n.jpg341397468_1852698828422601_8069351842764527635_n.jpg341083966_593397162724961_6728726186658346717_n.jpg341242584_612207150952622_1406421957383080017_n.jpg

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I don't think the popularity will ever fade away exactly. But if too many get butchered then they will become even more rare and exotic. Maybe in 100 years when nobody remembers when they were common anymore.

Kind of like a Model T or Model A or any used-to-be-common car from that era, or a steam locomotive, or a VW Bug, people remember when they were everywhere and suddenly they all got scrapped because they were too common, except for a few.

But it is one reason nobody will make a living with them any more, along with all the other reasons, purchase price too high by the collectors.

Truck Shop

I don't think the popularity will ever fade away exactly.
It did fade away when weight/bridge laws changed. The only reason any stayed around
for this long it was cheap. Wasn't long ago the average price was under 5K. Cabovers got
scrapped because no one wanted to drive them. But really it doesn't matter for the reason
you can't buy new cab parts and the used are getting picked through those parts have
become sky high, fads have a way of eating themselves.

Emissions will eventually kill them anyway.