• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Proper operating temps of D7G?

NWOutlawMX

I've been having a similar problem with my TD8E and will probably end up starting a separate thread. I am at the point of wondering if my sending unit or gauge are bad? I have done pretty much everything described above and don't want to hijack the thread, just wondering if i should try and replace these and see if solves it, or just start the thread now.

02Dmax

Have you checked the engine temp with a handheld temp gun? If there's even a chance the gauge or sender is bad I'd go ahead and replace it. That would be a cheap, easy fix.

NWOutlawMX

When the gauge gets to the check line, i use a temp gun and it ranges from 210-220 degrees. Took the radiator cap off (safely under a thick towel) and used a deep fry thermometer and the coolant was at 190. If I use it for another 15 minutes the temp gun goes up to 230, makes me nervous. What's the limit? I am thinking it's the gauge because when the temp starts rising it goes up to pegged at a steady rate, doesn't slow down. Know of any online parts sources for an 86 International TD8E, no one around here carries anything and just about everyone I call isn't interested in helping me.

Delmer

230 is over the limit in my book. I'd trust the temp gauge in this case. They'll read lower than the actual temperature if you're pointing at a shiny surface, but I've never seen one read higher. Does the temp gauge go back down if you let the engine run at medium idle with no load? that would indicate the gauge is accurate, and the engine is overheating.

The coolant at 190 is no problem, but it sounds like you're getting poor water circulation if there's that much difference between the engine and the top of the radiator. What's the temp of the bottom of the tank when the engine is 220? If the engine is 220, the top of the radiator is 190, and the bottom is say 160, there's your problem.

NWOutlawMX

Thanks, I'll start a new thread with all that I've done so far using this one as a reference. I'll run it up tomorrow and check the bottom and the gauge does drop when I let it sit at idle.

02Dmax

Drained 22 EXTRA gallons of oil out of the transmission. Runs cool as a cucumber now.

02Dmax

Oh there will be a next time. Lol. And tranny fluid level will be the first thing I check.