• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Proper place to discuss pricing here?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Word on the street down here is that interest rates will start dropping in the 3rd and 4th quarter of this year and also Deere is getting ready to offer some incentives like 0% financing. the word on your street may be completely different and YMMV.

Not sure it will be 3rd or 4th quarter however I think the banks are betting on them coming down within a year. Banks here are only offering CD's at "higher" interest rates for 6 - 12 month terms which tells me they are banking (pun intended) on base rate going down. 6 month terms are higher than 12 month so it could be 4th.

Last edited:

terex herder

Is this a machine to put to work? If so, good service is much more important than chiseling the dealer out of the last $5 bill. If its a toy purchase, just buy it.

There must be two dozen companies making mini hoes. What other companies have you compared? Yes, being an informed buyer is a lot of work, and even more so in this era of equipment shortages. But each salesman should know what other machines you have demo'd. It doesn't matter what I paid for my equipment, what matters is what choices you have, and what you have to pay for each one.

mountainrancher

Idk but i can't wait for oil to be $100 again this summer
Wait til we hit $200.
I think if you can get a good deal and/or good financing you're better to buy now than hope the price will come down. A mini-ex is a fairly small investment in the overall heavy equipment field.
Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at. If the prices drop I'll add a second, larger machine or a bunch of attachments.
12% off msrp isn’t a bad deal, best I’ve every gotten on Kubota equipment is 15% off. Kinda depends when they got the machine in and what their cost on the unit is.
It just got in. The lot's been bare until recently, now it's got a lot of machines on it.

@terex herder Easy to say when it's not your money. Kubota dealer wouldn't call me back on the machines they got in over the last couple years, so I'm not particularly eager to jump on the first offer from the dealer when they finally do call me. I do need a machine for work though. I'm not hiring out but I could easily wear this machine out with all I've got to do. Cat is the only other dealer in the area I'd buy from, but that's more $. So I'm pretty limited if I want a dealer with a good rep. Haven't even gotten to demo other machines, just rented a bobcat 7500lb machine. The local bobcat dealer, JCB dealer, and case/new holland dealer have s*** mechanic departments. So I'm looking to buy without even demoing so I have one this summer and don't have to deal with renting and transport multiple times, I'm pretty far out of town.

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
How much more was the Cat than the Kubota?

mountainrancher

Not sure it will be 3rd or 4th quarter however I think the banks are betting on them coming down within a year. Banks here are only offering CD's at "higher" interest rates for 6 - 12 month terms which tells me they are banking (pun intended) on base rate going down. 6 month terms ar higher than 12 month so it could be 4th.
That's what I'm seeing too, however they are slow to react on both the introduction of CBDCs and the death of the petrodollar. Long bonds are going to get hit the worst and it will require more money printing. Typically rates go down, values go up. However I don't know if that's going to be the case right now. There's too much wonky in the economy, and I suspect they'll keep rates off 0% and just start new versions of money printing (quantitive easing, operation twist, etc). Kinda the same effect but the blue collar business owner is going to have a tougher go financially.

MG84

In general, some time after everyone agrees that "the price of this or that is outrageous and will never come down" is when it tanks real bad.

We'll see.
I get a kick out of people at the gas pump exclaiming, “oh we’ll never see $x.00/ gallon gas ever again.” I usually just nod and say yup, although the inner economist in me is desperately wanting to give them a lecture on commodities and macro economics.

mountainrancher

They haven't had any supply. When I priced it last, they were about $10-15k higher, there wasn't an exact apples to apples comparison and they had a 6 month lead time. You're right I should probably check with them again. A business partner wants to buy a Kubota tractor, so this was kinda the introduction and I didn't go back to Cat. But I'll give them a call.

mountainrancher

I get a kick out of people at the gas pump exclaiming, “oh we’ll never see $x.00/ gallon gas ever again.” I usually just nod and say yup, although the inner economist in me is desperately wanting to give them a lecture on commodities and macro economics.
What's your inner economist say about half the world no longer trading oil for dollars?

mountainrancher

Found a similar cat machine (304), last years model, no 6 way blade though, 50 hours on it, for sale from a private seller construction company, it's 5 hours away. $80k. Have to wait until tomorrow to get some info from the dealer on a new machine price.

MG84

But to stay on track, I’ve found Kubota and Takueuchi to be on about the same level as far as pricing. Deere being a good bit higher and Cat being astronomical. There are some machines I may consider looking at Cat, but thier mini excavators are not one of them. I think $69 is a decent deal for the kx040 with a cab and 6 way blade. The amount of work you could accomplish in the next few months will more than make up for the savings you may get by waiting for the dealers to get hungrier.

Welder Dave

Just from reading on here Takeuchi is shooting themselves in the foot by pressuring their dealers to buy more machines than they can realistically sell. So much so that dealerships are either being taken away or the dealer is dropping the line. Not too long ago on here there was a very frustrated owner of a Tak having a big problem trying to get warranty after a dealership lost the Tak line and weren't authorized to do warranty on a machine they sold a few month's previous. That would certainly cause me to look elsewhere. I think Kubota has a pretty good reputation for building a quality product and a bonus if they have a much better price than Cat or other large heavy equipment brands. 10K is a lot of difference on a machine under 80K.

chidog

Before I'd pay that for a toy, I'd just rent when I need to use something. That way I don't have to fix it if it breaks. Mini excavators are too much cost for what they are. Yeah 3 steps better that a hand held shovel. If it doesn't weigh at least 20 tons its worthless.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
We use the **** out of our 305E, it's handy as a shirt pocket. Since we bought it back in '21 IIRC, we've added a hammer and 3' bucket with smooth edge that is the ticket for backfilling curbs and final grading sites.

We rented for years after I sold a 334 Bobcat mini thinking we didn't really need one. Finally got tired of renting and bought a used 305E. It's a money maker for us.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Before I'd pay that for a toy, I'd just rent when I need to use something. That way I don't have to fix it if it breaks. Mini excavators are too much cost for what they are. Yeah 3 steps better that a hand held shovel. If it doesn't weigh at least 20 tons its worthless.

Maybe show up with your shovel next time we replace a septic tank in a backyard . . . ?

Or just bring a 20 ton, demo the house first so it fits into the backyard :D

mountainrancher

Maybe show up with your shovel next time we replace a septic tank in a backyard . . . ?

Or just bring a 20 ton, demo the house first so it fits into the backyard :D
Or try to load up a 20 ton machine to haul it 4 miles on nonpaved winter roads to fix a water line that's 7 feet deep. You be unloading that sucker to pull the truck and trailer out more than youll be fixing the line.

mountainrancher

I was not thrilled with the Cat that I rented last year. I would not let price put you into a corner. I'd take the time to demo the iron.
I've never demoed anything. Last couple years was the first time I started using heavy equipment, nothing was available, even rentals were tough to get. I guess that's probably available now now that things are on the lot.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I think supply is getting back to normal with some over production. The next 6 months should be a buyers market IMO.