• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Proper Towing Rig

wilko

When you go for an upgrade that will allow the excavator you'll learn some valuable lessons on the cost of owning a truck and trailer. Just about the time you think you've justified the expense it'll be time to spend another $5k on tires or license and insurance or a reman trans or rearend or engine or DOT audit.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Go with a tandem axle dump, and a 48k pound tag, be sure to get a high hp tandem, something in the 400's min.

I move my 550g deere behind a 275hp single axle dump on a 20 ton air brake tag and things get iffy on a steep gravel downhill. And I would not haul a 160 at all.

wilko

That's what he'll need, but a 48k tag won't even come close. Figure 40,000 for the hoe, 10,000 for the trailer (around here you need three axles to haul that machine) and the truck will be more than 20,000 lbs. Right off the top you need to pay a $500 HVUT to the feds. Add state license and however you pay for your weight per mile fee.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
48k pounders work, and work well. So your machine is say a deere 160 g, operating weight is 39,685. You have a towmaster t-40 gvwr 48,800, operating weight 8,800 pounds. so trailer + excavator = 48,485. Your going to say, wow that's cutting it close. But remember your 10% min. tongue weight of 4k pounds. Now your trailer only scales 44,485. Ok Now we are driving a kw t800 empty weight of 26k, its tagged for 80k. 48,485 + 26k = 74,485. Your truck scales at 30k w/ tongue weight and the trailer at 45k, legal load. Except for maybe the bridge weight calculations...

wilko

Stumpjumper, I see we were talking about two different things. When you said 48k tag, I was thinking the "tag" you were talking was the weight card. (for tax and license purposes) BTW, that trailer wouldn't be legal here with that load. They let you guys back east carry a lot of weight.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
plantfitter, no not to my knowledge. The only thing ive seen similar to that are the regulation concerning un-braked trailers, and they have to be under 2500 lbs.

Wilko, out here that's what everyone moves a 160 w/ unless they happen to have a dedicated semi & lowbed. There is even a guy with a 50k pound triple axle, dual tire rig, pulled by a high hp pete triaxle dump that moves a Daewoo 180 around legally, no permit.

wilko

Here you're only allowed 34,000 on a pair of axles. You guys haul loads that we'd get shot hauling. Okay, maybe not shot, but there was a guy a while back who got a $44,000 overweight ticket.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
This is why we have D.O.T.

Pj

Brandt

If you run low miles - less than 5000/yr - I think, you are exempted from HVUT. Also, I think OR, NM and KY are the only states that have funky fuel tax laws.

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
i haul around my 310sj with my gooseneck and f350 and honestly im saving up for a bigger truck yes the f350 can haul it and yes the triple axle brakes do help allot but the wear and tear on the truck is significant. and i have had a couple close calls making me wish i would of fixed my old dump truck instead of selling it

pondo

Hey Redneclracin. What r the details of your Int 4700 ie motor and tranny setup?
Would you change anything?
I still looking at options for hauling fill/materials and skidsteer and mini....
thxs

pondo

Okay...so what r the details /spec? Need to haul things/stuff, that weight a lot more than few bikes.

rockaglock

The Sportchassis in the picture is a RHA-350, it has 1024ftlb of torque and is really comfortable towing between 22k-24k lbs. it's big brother, the RHA-450 has over 1600ftlb of torque and is good for up to 40k lbs. The best part about these trucks is the comfortable ride home after a long day of work.