• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pull pan scraper?

GODSDOZER

Occupation
Dirt Contractor
I have no experience at all with a pull type scraper. My question, what size of pan could a Cat D9H pull effectively and efficiently? Thanks for any input.

Delmer

That's not a toy, and not one you're going to find one easy. What are the plans for this? a specific job, or a general type of construction, or even an area of the country you're working in? Could be different answers depending on what your goals are for it.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
The Cat 491 pull scraper was designed to be towed by the D8H and D9G. This scraper was 27 yds struck and 34 yds heaped. A D9H would make easy work out of towing a Cat 491.
You'd struggle to find a big enough standard old-style pull scraper for a D9H, and you might be better advised to look for a bigger open bowl motorised scraper, that has been converted to a pull scraper.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
The Rome R89H is only 18 yds capacity, it's way undersized for a D9H.

Here's a D8R pulling an R89H - the D8R is only 305HP and around 80,000lbs, the D9H is 410HP and around 180,000lbs.

GODSDOZER

Occupation
Dirt Contractor
A D9H is 410 hspwer............but not 180,000 lbs. The last one I owned was 107,000 with cab/blade and winch.

d9gdon

I'd see if I could find a 631 that's been converted to pull type if I were looking...

I don't have any ties to them, just seen them advertise for the last 20 years or so.

My preference would be to find a decent older 631 or 637 motor scraper, much much cheaper initially and much much faster dirt moving.

Last edited:

nicky 68a

I’ve ran plenty of D8 and D9’s pulling scrapers etc,and still do after 30 years.
A D9H is a big tractor to be tied down pulling a box.
At the age it is,an undersize scraper is the wiser choice such as a beefed up Cat 463.I used to pull 463’s with D8H and D8K tractors relitivley easy,but would struggle in damp conditions when trying to turn uphill.
As one poster suggests,if you’re going the hydraulic route,a Rome 89 would be an easy enough pull for it.It’s quite wide and easily loaded.
As for a cut up 631 bowel,I’d be worried about giving yourself a lot of self praise and smiling until your old tractor self destructs in its arse end.
491’s were too big in my opinion,but I only ever saw one.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
The largest majority of scrapers operate on cut-to-fill, on relatively level ground.
But I guess, if you were involved in fairly deep excavations with scrapers - then yes, you need to cut back on scraper size for serious uphill work.

It's been a long, long time since I've seen any scrapers - either pull or powered - used on hauling up steep slopes.
But way back when pull scrapers were all the rage, we used to construct large dams ("excavated earth tanks"), using dozers and pull scrapers.
However, even then, you mostly hauled the scraper up the corners of the excavation to reduce the climb angle.

This is a local 40,000yd dam, being built in 1960. The machines belonged to my brothers employer. Cable control ruled, in those bad old days!
The last photo was a levelling job for a big sports field.

Attachments

• Gnowangerup-AC-scoop-1.jpg
    Gnowangerup-AC-scoop-1.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 17
  • Gnowangerup-4A.jpg
    Gnowangerup-4A.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Gnowangerup-AC-scoop-2.jpg
    Gnowangerup-AC-scoop-2.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Gnowangerup-AC-Britstand-1.jpg
    Gnowangerup-AC-Britstand-1.jpg