• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pulling slopes.

Northart

Slope %

Hello Deas,

The "North Slope " is flat, so much that I could see lights ,what I thought was 25 miles, away. A pick up in the distance takes a long time to get to you.

Now mirages in the spring , are really weird , see them from many , many miles away.

Deas Plant

North Slope slope?

Hi, Northart.
So my guess of 1 in 500 for the slope in Randy's North Slope photo mightn't be all that far wrong? LOL.

Are you going to 'cross that old white mountain just a little South-east of Nome' and come on down to the Best Show On Tracks?

http://www.bestshowontracks.org/

I guess I can excuse you if you're not. After all, you've got several mountain ranges to cross. I've only got the Pacific puddle. LOL.

Randy Krieg

Occupation
Test Pilot/Operator @ Caterpillar's Tucson Proving
North Slope

Deas Plant
That is correct, it is a geoghaphical area, which many in America refer to as the North Slope. It actually does slope from the Brooks Range all the way to the Artic Ocean. Here in Alaska we have many other names for that place. Some I can't post on here.:cool:

Northart
Love those pictures. You must of had your art work framed at the same shop I did. That picture frame looks very familar. :thumbsup

Hope this works, I'm sitting at Anchorage International Airport waiting to board a plane.

Have a great evening, Randy

Attachments

• D8R Hot ZoneII (Small).JPG
    D8R Hot ZoneII (Small).JPG
    34 KB · Views: 657
  • DCP_0030 (Small).JPG
    DCP_0030 (Small).JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 650
  • DCP_0010 (Small).JPG
    DCP_0010 (Small).JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 654

Randy Krieg

Occupation
Test Pilot/Operator @ Caterpillar's Tucson Proving
Northart Recognize This Place?

I thought you might recognize this place. It's close to home. I got to live there while I was finish all those lots.

Who said this isn't a great job?

Attachments

• Finishing TAL1 (Small).jpg
    Finishing TAL1 (Small).jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 657
  • Tandem Tracking (Small).jpg
    Tandem Tracking (Small).jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 656

Northart

Location ?

Hello Deas ,

I would suspect the gradient to be more like .001 % on the coastal lands. From my job experiences. The surveyors working there could verify it.

The Prudhoe Bay tide fluctuation is only 1'.

The surface waters are stagnant, the ponds,lakes, saturate the tundra , liquify the soils and the magnetic pull , or gravitational forces , actually create, elongated water bodies, readily discernable from the air.

There are aberrations to that, as such, "pingos" or raised mounds of earth pepper the landscape much, as acne on a teenager. Sometimes 20' high. A danger to the low cruising helicopters in winter. Barely visible in the whiteness of the landscape.

I just got home from celebrating my Birthday, the band played Johnny Horton's "North to Alaska" . :)

I suspect I'll be busy grading somehwere by the Best Showtime. Steve Petraist from NC that wintered in the Antarctic, and is currently in Prudhoe has said he will be there. So Alaska will be represented.

Hello Randy,

Sounds like you have Wi-Fi , much more techno than us hinterland residents. Catching the red eye special for Vegas ??? Larry Graham is headed that way also.

The CIRI Hotel ??? Snuck in did you . LOL :) Don't remember where I was .

Looks like the Sutton Coal Mine Reclamation, with the steaming pics.

I worked up there,prior, above you, for Al Johnson. Where the 80 meter cut was. Pushed that high bank down, took all summer. Exposed some of the old underground workings. Looked into the tunnels, real rich anthracite coal. All mined out. Psenak (sp)came in after us.

Well, enough for tonight. :)

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
no way deas you guys just keep on goin those are some great shots northart and randy thanx for sharing, i do find it hard to believe your windrows are so even without a scraper around though. lol

Lashlander

Hey Randy and Northart, good pics. Always enjoy action shots. I came through the Airport last night myself.

Attachments

• Lash Seward 010 (Small).jpg
    Lash Seward 010 (Small).jpg
    19 KB · Views: 626

Deas Plant

Even Windrows?

Hi, 637Slayer.
Even windrows without a scraper around? Excatly how would a scraper control the size, shape or even-ness of a grader's windrow. Grader operators don't keep scrapers around to control their windrows, only to remove the material they don't need. We're more than capable of deciding what we do or don't need, controlling all the material we do need and cleaning up after ourselves.

In fact, I'll bet that graders are called in to clean up after scrapers way more often than scrapers are called in to clean up after graders. H**l, on most jobs where scrapers are hauling excess material away from graders, we grader operators even have to put the material INTO windrows so that you scraper operators (aimers) know what to take and half the time you still get it wrong. LOL.

Northart, Johnny Horton is one of my favourite singers of all time. He did some really good songs/ballads about historical events as well as his country music and he was also easy to listen to. I'm just not into :Banghead music.

Firecat11

Occupation
Registered Civil Engineer / Heavy Earthwork Contra
Cat 140M Flight Simulator

I got to sit in a Cat 140M Simulator today. It was unbelievable! The advancement in technology just continues to climb.

Has anyone ran a 'M-Series' yet? I am curious how you like them or not.

It seems like it might be a little difficult to keep it from drifting into the gutter pan when cutting base grade. Especially if you were cutting off of the right side of the moldboard.

Ray Welsh

Banned
I got to sit in a Cat 140M Simulator today. It was unbelievable! The advancement in technology just continues to climb.

Has anyone ran a 'M-Series' yet? I am curious how you like them or not.

It seems like it might be a little difficult to keep it from drifting into the gutter pan when cutting base grade. Especially if you were cutting off of the right side of the moldboard.

Most of you boys nowdays are spoilt with articulated graders. The last grader job I did for a living was on a rigid frame cat 12 cutting the grass off a railway embankment so we could widen it. (Aprox 1971).
How I did it??....Drive wheels on the bottom and steering on the top, leaning down, then moved forward cutting the grass down until the grader reached tipping point, then reverse back down to flat ground and line up for next attempt.
The drive wheels were always spinning and the grader was moving sideways throughout each pass. It took a while for the 2KM then a small elevating scraper picked up the spoil and put it aside. As the new fill came up we keyed into the original embankment. All In all, a satisfied customer and the job completed for a profit. Remember that Excavators were not around then, backhoes were very scarce and couldn't reach far enough anyway.
There's always more than one way to strangle a cat!!.....C ya........Ray

Deas Plant

Great minds think alike.

Hi, Ray.
Aha! Somebody else not afraid to use his grader to its fullest extent with a little creativity thrown in for good measure. When I first used that trick, there was certain pucker factor -around 6.5 to 7 if I remember correctly - on the first pass. After that, when I knew it would work, the pucker factor pretty much evaporated.

Northart and Grader4me, I personally have never been fussy which side I cast the blade out to, whatever suited the current job. Yes, I did notice a little difference and sometimes it was a bit of a PITA. There was a time that I had to cut a small bench up towards the top of a batter to sit an 8" PVC gas pipe on. The batter was about 5 feet high and formed one side of a flat-bottomed 'V' drain that had silted up a little in the bottom but was still only about 5 feet wide. (Damned excavators making things awkward again. LOL.) The bench was supposed to be about 4 feet up on the batter and ran for about 100 feet until it reached the point where the pipe took a right-angle turn and ran away from the drain.

The boss (company owner) was going to send an excavator to do the job but the leading hand said he thought I would be able to do it with the grader so I was taken to have a look at it. I thought I could do it too, and it turned out that I could but it was one of those times that I was glad the grader, a well-worn 14G, had more 'equal' side-shift to the right than the left. LOL.

Northart

RH extension

Hello DeasPlant,

I always make sure,( I am fussy ) if I'm going to be assigned, to one blade , that everything,(mirrors,seat,moldboard,lights,etc. ) is adjusted the way :)I want it. :)

The moldboard I always have set, the end of the cylinder to the inner most holes so it has max reach to the right.

Just the way traffic patterns are, that it is easier to go with the flow than against.

Deas Plant

Culture shock.

Hi, Northart.
Wanna give yerself a culture shock? Come DownUnder for one of your winters and work down here. We drive on 'tuther' side of the road. LOL.

Nah! On second thoughts, you'd better not. That would be our summer. The bright sunlight and heat might melt you. I'd hate to have to ship you home in a leakproof container. LOL.

Mind you, I'll be making the reverse adjustment in about 5 weeks, for about 10 days.

Northart

Opposite side ?

Hello Deas Plant,

We have enough misfits in our society here, to give us "Cultural shock" . LOL

It did dawn upon me that you drive on the left side , right after I hit the, submit reply button ! That is why you are using the left side as opposed to us right handers ! :cool:

Deas Plant

Hi, Northart.
I guess I'm 'ambidextrous'. I'll use whichever side happens to be handiest. I noticed very early in the grader operating part of my career that material drifts across the blade in an upward direction noticeably quicker if you are working uphill so I started using this to my advantage. Break a drain out going downhill and clean it up going uphill (where possible), grade material down a batter going downhill, grade it up a batter going uphill, etc., so you gotta be prepared to work whichever way fits the situation.

Hmmmmm. It's a pity that you are stocked right up with misfits. Are you REALLY sure? We have a few we could let you have on long-term loan/99 year lease if you want them. And they're cheap.

This talk of right- and left-handed working has raised a question in my mind. Can anybody tell me for sure one way or the other if Cat graders, or any graders for that matter, are manufactured any differently for right or left hand drive countries?

How's your Spring weather over there? We're in the last month of our Autumn (Fall to you.) and I'm still wearing shorts and T-shirts to work - - - all day.

Eric

For what it's worth, we drive left handed in the mine. Now every time I get on a dirt road I automatically go to the left side!!:beatsme