• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Purchasing hydraulic flow tester

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The boss wants me to look into purchasing a hydraulic flow tester mainly to be used setting up proper flow on excavators that have a breaker fitted to them. I was curious, is there a great advantage having a bi-directional flow tester as opposed to a single direction tester? I'm trying to determine if it's worth it to spend the extra bucks to get a bi-directional, just can't imagine that many times you would check flow in both directions, but could be I just can't see the forest for the trees as well. :D

curb guy

Willie, I don't know much about said testers so, please let us know what you decide on. I may have a use for one myself!

BillG

In my view it all depends on your expected usage. If you will only be using it for this purpose and similar testing I would say stay with the single direction. But if you plan on testing bidirectional stuff like motor circuits (comparing flow for leakage in both directions) the non directional will save a lot of time and mess in disconnecting and reconnecting. It also comes in handy when checking cylinders that you suspect have a bad packing in either the extend or retract. I kind of compare them to the difference between our old analog electrical meters (needle type) and today's digital type. The old analog meters had to be connected to the circuit in the correct direction whereas the digital types read correctly either way and give you an indication that your leads are reversed. This way you don't have to disconnect and reconnect. I guess it comes down to your needs and offsetting the cost. Bill

excavator

I agree with Bill. And it is also a safety factor if checking motors or cylinders. If you just happen to try and run the system in the opposite direction you will destroy your tester. I've heard of this happening and there were parts and oil flying everywhere.

tctractors

Willie, a Co local to me has 2 real fancy flow meters that are only single direction jobs but real good spec units, they have no idea how to use them and get me in to do any testing they need???, I get to have a lend of them when I need to so its a great deal all round for me, I cannot see any real advantage having anything Super De-Luxe (2 way) on an excavator or general plant testing, keep your coins and go for simple and robust.

tctractors

Richardjw~

following on from TC's point about basic flow meters, this is the brand we generally recommend to dealers on Ag products in various parts of the world....upto 180 l/pm & 420 bar....very simple, no batteries to go flat or fancy cables to rip apart

its not so hard for them to swallow when they drive over it or put the pipes on back to front (there's a valve that stops damage now)

Webtec simple flow meter

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Thanks for the advice fellas, that's kinda the info I was looking for, will discuss the options with the boss. The difference between single direction and bi-directional is easily 1,000 bucks, pretty good chunk of change if it's a feature if it's not necessary for the application. The flow rates on many 200 size and bigger excavators can get in the 85 gpm and above range, so I'm most likely going to get one of the 200+ gpm testers. I've been looking at a unit from Hedland Flo-Tech, pretty much the same price as the unit that you posted Lee, but I do like that handy steel box with a lid the one from Hydracheck features.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I had the Hedland Flo-Tech for a few years. Mine had the 2" ports and 200 gallon capacity and single direction. It was great when I had to prove a system was bad but I didn't use it enough to justify the cost. A friend of mine that installs log processors all the time still puts the monster to work.

Remember the cost of the unit is only the beginning. Counting the adapters, multiple hoses and types of fittings and the room all that stuff took up I decided to sell the kit. If you are doing lots of compactors, breakers, mulchers or slashers then you have to have one. They do take most all of the guess work out of setup and troubleshooting.

maytag

Occupation
Hydraulic technician in a steel mill
flowmeter

I have one of the Lake flowmeters, bi-directional, 6000 psi, 100 gpm. I use it and a needle valve and pressure gage. I do a lot of work where water glycol is used instead of mineral oil so I opted for SS construction. It was pricey but its like any other tool-when you need it nothing else will do.
At some point in time maybe they will get a non-invasive flowmeter perfected for mineral oil and/or WG.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
i,ve got a 235 with a fast swing problem, would the flow tester be the way to go or not?

I don't know enough about a 235 to know what would cause that problem, but a flow meter wouldn't be the first troubleshooting method I would think of, more likely a control or solenoid problem causing it to only have, or not have, fast swing. Other Cat techs here might offer better info.