• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Quad 9 & 641's in Alaska

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Jason, we always double or triple push our 631's. We do it like you first explained. The rear push cat gets the front in the next push and the front cat takes the rear in the next push and back and forth all day.

The only time I got to see double push cats was with S.J. Groves. That's exactly the way they did it, there was no designated front or back tractor, they alternated each pass.

Gavin84w

SoCal earthmovers has some great vids with a D10N & a D10T double pushing 651B,s in about 20 seconds getting big loads and the 2 dozer drivers are just so in sync, real plasure to watch.

Alot of outfits down here have no belief in the benefits of the cushion blade what so ever for push loading scrapers and all the single power open bowls come into the cut and stop and wait for the tractor to back up and hook on with an SU blade.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Tvan, you are right. Buster Peterson developed the concept along with several other things. Cat did buy his patents. I still don't get the logic in the fuel tank turned 90 degrees.

surfer-joe

Would like to read a bit from an operator that has run the quads pushing scrapers. I've seen several of these setups, but never had an opportunity to run one. Double pushing with D9's and 10's is old hat however. Plenty of seat time doing that.

surfer-joe

Have pushed both ways. Mostly depends on what's on back of the pushcats though. Gotta have a pushin-cushion, though I have seen and done some pushing against ripper frames. Not a great idea however. Have also used D8-D9 combinations, D9-HD41 Combos, and D10-D355 setups.

JDOFMEMI

Joe

How did the D10-D355 combo work. I haven't been around but 1 355 that was working, and if it was any representation, the D10 would have spent a lot of time waiting for the 355 to catch up.
Now the D375's I have seen were regular speed demons.

Tvan

Occupation
Supervision now Days
Quad seat time

Would like to read a bit from an operator that has run the quads pushing scrapers. I've seen several of these setups, but never had an opportunity to run one. Double pushing with D9's and 10's is old hat however. Plenty of seat time doing that.

I started out on a quad in NM for Kiewit in 67, was brought in almost new from AZ, had just finished a job at Flagstaff, they brought it and some 41's and 51's, they were phasing out there 41's and getting new 51's this was before the cushion ride and 8 speeds, we were building a piece of interstate 40 east of abq, anyway most of the dirt was pre-water barrow pits, and with PKS you Chain loaded everything, load thur the pit and turn at the end and load the other way, had a pit pitboss walking right beside the scrapers and he would flag you out in 15 to 18 seconds, got to remember was picking these scrapers on the run full tilt 3rd gear and about the time you went to 2nd you were gone, 16 blade in the pit at all times only place it was rough was were you were loading, that was in the good ole days!!!!! very little chain loading in Alaska, lot of side by side, lot harder on the pusher and under carriage jumping in and out of cut, Had a Old 4man tell me one time those scrapers have tires, they will come to you instead of you going to them!!! That's my story and I'm sticking to IT!!!

ke6gwf

Well, I finally know what a Quad 9 is!
Learn something new every day...

Since I want to see more pictures, I'll tell you how I resize. :professor
I am partial to Picasa, and use the desktop program to manage and edit all my pictures, and the Web service for sharing. You can also get a plugin that allows you to upload to Facebook directly from Picasa.
If you install Picasa, it will scan your computer and show you all the pictures (yes, all of them, you have been warned! You know which ones you forgot where you stashed! :ban You can exclude folders from being scanned, and hide pictures if you need to), then it is easy to select the ones you want to use using the CTRL key, or click-dragging, etc.
Before selecting them, you can do any cropping or adjustments you need (try the Fill Light slider! It's a miracle worker for dark pictures).
Once you have them selected, either select Upload to send them to PicasaWeb, or Export if you just need to resize them, and then you can select the size you want them to end up. (640x480) If you Export them, they end up in a folder that you can then upload from. I upload any interesting pics to my PicasaWeb albums, and then use the links from them to crossload to my post. By doing that, I can have hundreds of pics shared, and then just post the best here, but include the link for the rest. Best of both worlds!
That may sound complicated, but that's just because I am the one explaining it! Install the program, and the rest is cake.

Another good one is InfranView. It does batch resizing, and is a good program to have anyway since it will open most any image file type. But I never use it!
Picasa is the Caterpillar of the Image Management world. It will do most anything it does better than most, but some just don't like it! (oh, and it doesn't cost more than the rest. It's free in fact!)
InfranView is kinda like a TeleHandler... It can do so many things, but it isn't the best way to do some of them.

This toot-tore-eel has been brought to you by the letter G and the letters wearetakingovertheworldbutwedonoevil and the numbers 6, 5,and 7.

Ben~

(this is an old version)

Attachments

• picasa_screen.jpg
    picasa_screen.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,599

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
Well, I finally know what a Quad 9 is!
Learn something new every day...

Since I want to see more pictures, I'll tell you how I resize. :professor
I am partial to Picasa, and use the desktop program to manage and edit all my pictures, and the Web service for sharing. You can also get a plugin that allows you to upload to Facebook directly from Picasa.
If you install Picasa, it will scan your computer and show you all the pictures (yes, all of them, you have been warned! You know which ones you forgot where you stashed! :ban You can exclude folders from being scanned, and hide pictures if you need to), then it is easy to select the ones you want to use using the CTRL key, or click-dragging, etc.
Before selecting them, you can do any cropping or adjustments you need (try the Fill Light slider! It's a miracle worker for dark pictures).
Once you have them selected, either select Upload to send them to PicasaWeb, or Export if you just need to resize them, and then you can select the size you want them to end up. (640x480) If you Export them, they end up in a folder that you can then upload from. I upload any interesting pics to my PicasaWeb albums, and then use the links from them to crossload to my post. By doing that, I can have hundreds of pics shared, and then just post the best here, but include the link for the rest. Best of both worlds!
That may sound complicated, but that's just because I am the one explaining it! Install the program, and the rest is cake.

Another good one is InfranView. It does batch resizing, and is a good program to have anyway since it will open most any image file type. But I never use it!
Picasa is the Caterpillar of the Image Management world. It will do most anything it does better than most, but some just don't like it! (oh, and it doesn't cost more than the rest. It's free in fact!)
InfranView is kinda like a TeleHandler... It can do so many things, but it isn't the best way to do some of them.

This toot-tore-eel has been brought to you by the letter G and the letters wearetakingovertheworldbutwedonoevil and the numbers 6, 5,and 7.

Ben~

(this is an old version)

he uses a MAC, does this work with a MAC?

ke6gwf

he uses a MAC, does this work with a MAC?

If he has a new enough one!

http://picasa.google.com/mac/
For Mac OS X 10.4.9+
Requires Intel CPU

Apple's "Preview" image viewer will also resize, although it resizes the originals unlike Picasa which saves the smaller version. It is included with OS X.
If he goes that route, make sure he copies the originals he wants to resize into a new folder. It will make selecting them simpler, and preserve the originals. After uploading them, he can delete the resized one if he wants.
Here's an article explaining it:
http://www.tiptrickmod.com/mac/why-preview-is-the-best-batch-photo-resizer-for-mac/

I would still recommend Picasa! :)

Are there any options available for getting Auto-resize working on here again? Is it just a matter of the time to do it? Money? Research? Baksheesh?
Anyone?

. . . . . . . . . .:bash . . . . . . . . . . . .

My^^Custom^^^Image^^Resizer^^

Ben~

Tvan

Occupation
Supervision now Days
660's from the 60's

Found these old pictures from my NM days in the 60's, these were just a year old 660 tractors and 650 cans

Attachments

• 660 #1.jpg
    660 #1.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,498
  • 660#2.jpg
    660#2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,534
  • 660 #3.jpg
    660 #3.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,525

Gavin84w

Great pics Tom from a golden era, you can even see the RUST Cat dealer decals on there. Who was the owner of these?

Tvan

Occupation
Supervision now Days
Schultz & Lindsey they were out of Billings, Mt and Fargo, ND they Brought a bunch of 88E DW20s down out of MT and some 641s out of Kanas, bought 2 660's New from Rust Tractor they stayed in NM for several years.

X Quad Operator

Love running the 600 series scrapers with out the canopies, it didnt feel like you were in a box. You ever get a chance to run a 666? Loved twins. Mike Nebergall

Tvan

Occupation
Supervision now Days
Never had the chance to run a 666, Zacarary out of Texas brought some on a Rail Road job around SantaFe in about 66, had some friends worked there, but ever get the chance to my Great Disapointment, But those 60's would carry the mail, but they wouldn,t out run those 88E 20s with a Good 20 skinner on it. Old Memories

ILLICEMAN

Occupation
FARMER ex CHEVY DEALER
If you are into models a great set of 9,s double pushers DD9 are coming out I believe in aroud Mar.Very detailed
They also made some nice 660,s The pair will look great

Tvan

Occupation
Supervision now Days
Thanks my Friend, will keep my eyes open, Thanks again