• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

quad 9"s

cat 385

i've been looking for pics of the quad 9x9,s or side by sides,have had no luck,if you have any pics,please share,or if any one has ran these i would like to hear your story's.
thank's-

DPete

Best I could do is pics of pics from a book called Caterpillar Chronicles

Attachments

• IM000375.jpg
    IM000375.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 13,879
  • IM000376.jpg
    IM000376.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 8,836
  • IM000377.jpg
    IM000377.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 7,213

DPete

3 more

Attachments

• IM000378.jpg
    IM000378.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 7,391
  • IM000379.jpg
    IM000379.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 6,403
  • IM000380.jpg
    IM000380.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 6,396

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
They are very neat looking machines, and a true testement to the statment. If you can dream it, someone can and will build it. Thanks for sharing DPete.

Trbo

cat 385

thank's Dpete,too bad these things are not documented a little better, i have seen only one quad in action,Gibbons and Reed were using one on a scraper spread years ago, i had to pull to the side of the road just to watch.
THANKS AGAIN.

DPete

thank's Dpete,too bad these things are not documented a little better, i have seen only one quad in action,Gibbons and Reed were using one on a scraper spread years ago, i had to pull to the side of the road just to watch.
THANKS AGAIN.
No problem, that same book has pics of 3 657's hooked together with one operator, will post it later as I'm headed to San Diego to look at some 623's for sale, be gone 3 days.

Dozer575

Banned
Occupation
Machinist and occasional pt Dozer oper
Cat 385,

Caterpillar did build and market those machines, but they did not come up with that concept. It was an independant dealer called Peterson Bros, if memory serves, they had a book they were selling some years back. It was the engineering genious of Buster Peterson that came up with the Quad D9 and the SXS D9's, plus many other of what cat sells was his idea, I think the U blade as well. He had patents on these inventions and sold them to cat. All the controls and the way to link the machines was Busters idea.
Yeah in the good old days big companys actually listened to some of the nobodys out there. Now they don't give a rip unless you have an engineering degree.

Last edited:

stretch

Occupation
gopher
There was a thread a few weeks ago about Peterson's genius, but this stuff sure isn't tiring for me. It's just amazing what came out of that workshop.

And yes, can we see some more of those triple 657's?

DPete

Can I put scrapers in a dozer thread? I'll try.How would you like to slide all that off a bank?

Attachments

• IM000386.jpg
    IM000386.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 5,745
  • IM000387.jpg
    IM000387.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 5,715

nextdoor

Occupation
Farming and playing in the dirt
By the look of that last picture with the steering wheel up the front, would that be for the apprentice???!!!!! Seriously though there were some really unique ideas used back then, it reminds me of ag gear with a couple of tractors hooked in tandem. OH & safety wouldnt have a bar of it today. A question I have is how did the dozers hooked side by side turn? Did one completely stop and the other push it around or was it the normal way where they both disengaged the same track on each machine?

Deas Plant

Cat-Peterson relationship.

Hello, Dozer575.
You are right about the Quad-track D9G's - the DD9G's - but not about the SxS D9's. After seeing Buster Peterson's DD9G's in action, Cat's research department approached Buster with the idea of putting two D9G's side by side with one wide blade across the front of both. Buster linked up two toy Cat dozers in a similar fashion to what was eventually adopted in the full-sized version. Cat liked the idea and gave the go-ahead for a full-sized version. Buster developed the idea 'into iron', including the single-operator control system. Cat again liked what they saw, took it over, developed it further and released it as a production design in 1969. In total, between both D9G's and D9H's, only about 25 sets of these machines were made, including the original set that Buster put together for Cat.

Ditto with the push-pull scraper concept. Cat approached Buster with the basic concept and asked him to put it 'into iron', which Buster did in a lot less time than it would have taken Cat themselves. Again, Cat liked what they saw, took it over and released it in pretty much the form that Buster had given them and which we know today.

Buster did a LOT of work with and for Cat, to the extent that Cat gave Buster their design protocols so that both companies were talking the same language when discussing the various projects. Cat sent a number of projects to Buster to put 'into iron' 'cos he could do it so much faster than Cat themselves. On the other hand, Buster developed an LOT of ideas on his own that Cat eventually took over.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Hey Deas:)
U put a picture in another thread of two cats with a huge ripper connected to the blade mounts on the side.
Do you have any more pics of that setup?
Is that a Double 9 setup?
History behind it?

Looked like the pics where from your part of the world:D

Deas Plant

Giving it all I've got.

Hi, MKTEF.
Here are all the photos I have of the beast. They are not from DownUnder. I suspect California.

Attachments

• Cat DD9H dozer, Collins ripper_1.jpg
    Cat DD9H dozer, Collins ripper_1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 9,129
  • 2 x DD9G's with Collins ripper B-W_1S_Acmoc.gif
    2 x DD9G's with Collins ripper B-W_1S_Acmoc.gif
    52.5 KB · Views: 8,105
  • Cat DD9H dozer, Collins ripper B-W_1.jpg
    Cat DD9H dozer, Collins ripper B-W_1.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 3,989

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
deas, on the subject of scrapers linked together, didn't letorneau do a scraper chain? I'm unsure of all the details but I was thinging he had five or more units hooked together, maybe more. I see on http://www.letourneau-inc.com/about/history.htm under year 1966 they have three pans with it looks like one operator, and one of his pans was the capacity of all three of those cats...

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
Here is one that i had to take with my camera from page that i had.Sorry about the poor pic.It is a Balderson"Double Dude",a 48' reclamation blade,powered by two D9 tractors,operated by one man,is being used in Texas.

Here is also a D10 with coal blade.

This was published in 1980.Enjoy:usa

Attachments

• Dual 9 Dozer 002.jpg
    Dual 9 Dozer 002.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 3,079
  • D10 Blade.jpg
    D10 Blade.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 3,074