• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Question for Low boy.

Truckie

Question for Low boy.
Since the bridge collapse in Minnesota have you had a hard time getting permits to move loads? :beatsme
I am having one hell of a time trying to get Pa D O T to issue a permit for us to move our one machine.
Beings they did all these bridge inspections and lowered the weights around here it is almost imposable to get one to move a machine around here. :Banghead
Every rout I give them they shoot it down and don’t offer any alternate rout.:beatsme :beatsme :Banghead
I need to get this machine moved this week.

lgammon

maybe at night with no one looking......

i know i know but some times you just have to go ahead and do it

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Well, the DOT denied a firm here around to move a D10.:(
They aplied for a couple of times...

Problem is, a register system registrerd a real heavy load crossing at midnight.:cool:
A number of heavy axles, with max weight, crossed the digital weight system mounted in the road.

The road authoroties got it on their pc and called the DOT guy's.
They asked wath was going on, had they permited this heavy load?

And the D10 was moved, by a "helicopter".:D

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
When I need to do a big move its all done at night after midnight depending on where we are going. I moved a PC600 across town whole which I thought was crazy until another company moved a 375 whole across town.

DigDug

Mike, I move my wide loads real early in the AM . But it is illegal here to move a wide load in the dark.

Truckie

We are allowed to move permit loads after dark but you have to have them light with light so it can be seen from 300 feet away and on all sides. From 5:00am on you do not.
I finally got the permit today but now I have to get hold of a construction company that is working on a road a few miles up from where we need to deliver the machine.:beatsme I have no idea why,:beatsme but we need the permission from the construction company to use the road, it is a state road to boot.:beatsme
I hope they fax :bash the report and permission over this evening or early in the am so I can get this machine moved.

Mike

Dozer575

Banned
Occupation
Machinist and occasional pt Dozer oper
Has anyone moved a large crawler machine, like a big dozer by just bolting wood or rubber pads on the track shoes and then walked it down county roads with a trip permit? I was joking with a cop one time and asked if I could drive a D8H home the night after the shift. He asked how far do you have to go? He thought I was serious.

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Question for Low boy.
Since the bridge collapse in Minnesota have you had a hard time getting permits to move loads? :beatsme
I am having one hell of a time trying to get Pa D O T to issue a permit for us to move our one machine.
Beings they did all these bridge inspections and lowered the weights around here it is almost imposable to get one to move a machine around here. :Banghead
Every rout I give them they shoot it down and don’t offer any alternate rout.:beatsme :beatsme :Banghead
I need to get this machine moved this week.

Sorry for the delayed response, Truckie...I just noticed the question you posted now.

Ironically, I haven't had any problems getting OW permits so far. I moved a JD 200LC from Scranton,Pa to New Hampshire last week with no problems, but it was only for 98K lbs.

I recently switched to using TRUCKNPERMITS.com, it's a small, family owned & operated business that I can't say enough good about compared to the others that have proven to be obnoxious. The owner, Peggy is a sweet lady that bends over backwards to help out, such as faxing permits to a couple different locations for my convenience. She is quick and reliable, and does a good job with all the permit needs. They are based in Ohio, by the way...

Truckie

No problem Low Boy I appreciate the info.
We will have to move another machine in a few weeks and I may give them a shot.
There’s so much construction going on around Western pa the dang state don’t even know where work is being done.

Well Thursday I got a hold of the superintendent of the job and he asked why I was bugging him and asking for permission to use the road. I told him because the state said I had to. He said you are not coming anywhere near the site I’m working on. I said I know that but the state don’t know or under stand that.
I told him to just sign the paper and fax it back to me so I could fax it to the state and get moving .
All in all it worked out, even with the clutch cable breaking on the truck early in the morning.

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
No problem Low Boy I appreciate the info.
We will have to move another machine in a few weeks and I may give them a shot.
There’s so much construction going on around Western pa the dang state don’t even know where work is being done.

Well Thursday I got a hold of the superintendent of the job and he asked why I was bugging him and asking for permission to use the road. I told him because the state said I had to. He said you are not coming anywhere near the site I’m working on. I said I know that but the state don’t know or under stand that.
I told him to just sign the paper and fax it back to me so I could fax it to the state and get moving .
All in all it worked out, even with the clutch cable breaking on the truck early in the morning.

Some days yer the windshield, some days yer the bug, huh Truckie?:cool:

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
Here we have to move most of the big stuff at night or after 9 oclock in the morning. It's a lot easier to move stuff around at night though so I usually just do that. Hire state police details and you can do anything.

thejdman04

no problems here, pay and go. only problem is as you say most bridges are rated soo low, you can gett the permits jsut dont cross and bridges.

greywynd

Has anyone moved a large crawler machine, like a big dozer by just bolting wood or rubber pads on the track shoes and then walked it down county roads with a trip permit? I was joking with a cop one time and asked if I could drive a D8H home the night after the shift. He asked how far do you have to go? He thought I was serious.

Fellow near my parents house had a tracked loader that he used primarily around the farm. The farm had land both sides of the road, he basically had an 'open license' from the county to walk it back and forth as needed, as long as he laid wood planking or tires down to prevent damage to the pavement. I don't recall what make/model it was, but would guess it to be maybe an 8-10 ton machine at most.